Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Cutoff looks perfect, great job. To those that asked about cutting, if you want to save $100 and use OEM housings, you're gonna need to slice and dice. If you get the Depo housings, you will not have to cut as they are a little deeper. Pick your poison. For $100, I'd personally get the depo lights. Gotta love HIDs when they are done right.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Props for doing HID's right. So many people just put the bulbs in factory housings but you went the extra mile(s) and spend the extra money to do it right. Your lights look great and I'm sure they'll be even better when you make some adjustments and get the cutoff where you want it.
Thanks Ryan. Learned a long time ago to do things right, even it is more expensive up front. It costs more to do things twice, lol.

Cutoff looks perfect, great job. To those that asked about cutting, if you want to save $100 and use OEM housings, you're gonna need to slice and dice. If you get the Depo housings, you will not have to cut as they are a little deeper. Pick your poison. For $100, I'd personally get the depo lights. Gotta love HIDs when they are done right.
Thanks Dave. I think there was a slight tilt to the left headlight. You know me and my OCD. :pullinghair:

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Thanks Ryan. Learned a long time ago to do things right, even it is more expensive up front. It costs more to do things twice, lol.

Thanks Dave. I think there was a slight tilt to the left headlight. You know me and my OCD. :pullinghair:
Those are always hard to cure because in order to get it perfect, you need to make sure the jeep, and the ground are completely level. You also need to make sure the cutoff is level, regardless of how it looks on a wall, since most walls aren't level. Its really difficult to find a location with all of the above. I got mine as good as I can get it, but its still slightly off, and without having a perfectly level everything, I'll never get it perfect. You can get it to 97% if you have a buddy with an OEM projector equipped car (like an MDX) park 20 feet away from a wall, turn on headlights, and you mark the cutoff with tape. Then, park your jeep in the same spot and level yours out using his tape marks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Autopals are deeper, depos are the same dimensions.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Those are always hard to cure because in order to get it perfect, you need to make sure the jeep, and the ground are completely level. You also need to make sure the cutoff is level, regardless of how it looks on a wall, since most walls aren't level. Its really difficult to find a location with all of the above. I got mine as good as I can get it, but its still slightly off, and without having a perfectly level everything, I'll never get it perfect. You can get it to 97% if you have a buddy with an OEM projector equipped car (like an MDX) park 20 feet away from a wall, turn on headlights, and you mark the cutoff with tape. Then, park your jeep in the same spot and level yours out using his tape marks.
Good info. I was thinking on how I could redo this. I will use my wife's truck. I need a larger wall, like side of a big box store or something.

I was able to score oem headlights from ebay at $60 shipped. Seems like the seller has a few pairs. He resisted the same auction after I made the payment.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update:
1. Had an issue with the HID kit wiring, so it has been sent back for review. Thank you Retrofitsource, amazing customer service. I spent extra knowing that they stand behind their product. So that project is on hold for now.

2. Nitto Trail Grappler 315/70/17 ordered today. Thank you Discount Tire Direct. Gave me 5 replacement certificates for price of 4 in addition to the other applicable discounts. Hopefully have these mounted by the weekend!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Today's progress

I had the rims purchased before delivery. I wasnt planning on doing the tires for a while. Worked a deal out with the wife and I was able to get them sooner than planned.

Discount Tire came through with an awesome deal. They even threw in a free replacement certificate after I purchased 4 from them plus another 90 in discounts currently available. Not to forget free shipping. Ordered Wed and here Friday.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks bro. It rides noticeably different. Although better than the 2dr. It rubs a good bit. Will be removing the air dam.
Fellow Anvil here…gotta luv it! Nice change with the new wheels and tires. Tires are my next upgrade and am leaning heavily to DuraTracs but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. See a lot of folks with Nittos and those are the two I've been wondering between. What swayed you to the Nittos? Have you run with those before?

Happy modding!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I had the rims purchased before delivery. I wasnt planning on doing the tires for a while. Worked a deal out with the wife and I was able to get them sooner than planned.

Discount Tire came through with an awesome deal. They even threw in a free replacement certificate after I purchased 4 from them plus another 90 in discounts currently available. Not to forget free shipping. Ordered Wed and here Friday.

very nice so would those be considered 33s? it seems just perfect on stock height as well. and what brand and model are those 17s ?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fellow Anvil here…gotta luv it! Nice change with the new wheels and tires. Tires are my next upgrade and am leaning heavily to DuraTracs but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. See a lot of folks with Nittos and those are the two I've been wondering between. What swayed you to the Nittos? Have you run with those before?

Happy modding!
Thanks MnJK! I was between those two tires as well. Never had nittos before. Had general grabbers and I went with the Nitto trail grapplers this time for aesthetic reasons. I love their aggressive look and they are really wide for a 12.5 in tire. Wider than the grabbers, so I ruled those out. I was 60/40 b/w these and the duratracs. I live in the south where it is relatively dry and flat. If I still lived in Philly, I would have likely gone with the duratracs because they are a all season tire. I'll be keeping my OEM set up as a back up.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
very nice so would those be considered 33s? it seems just perfect on stock height as well. and what brand and model are those 17s ?
Thanks Don! These are Nitto Trail Grapplers 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17. I went with the 315/70 because they are D rated tire and was hoping for a softer ride compared to an E rated tire. I really love how they fill the wheel well for now.

The 17in wheels are MB72s from Discount Tire Direct. I received a great deal on both tires and wheels. I had the wheels for under $500 for all 5 including lugs. I think it was about 485 IIRC.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
My AEV lift is 100% dialed in now, drives like a dream. Add a set of OEM rear sway links (for the front) a teraflex monster trackbar, rancho drop brackets, northridge bolt kit, rancho 9000s, and a set of toxic braided brake lines and you are 100% complete....plus professional alignment when everything is installed. Go with that or Metalcloak and you'll be very happy.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Can you PM me what was the damage to the wallet?

A jeep makeover trip to new york may be in order. Let me know if you have anybideas on how I can explain that to wife.
No need for PM, I bought everything from northridge and amazon. Shocks were $87 a piece. AEV lift was $959 (same everywhere), bolt kit was $40 if I remember correctly, rancho brackets were $140 (but you can get them for $120 if you shop around), teraflex bar was $253 I believe, OEM sway links were $20 a pop on qtec, brake lines are $110 from baseline4x4 (check the vendors section, their thread on the toxic brake lines is in there.) Alignment was $125 at my Jeep dealer. Installation all me. Oh, and the AFE Y pipe (which I highly recommend) is $280 from Amazon.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts