Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking for electric hoist mounting ideas. I have a 13 foot ceiling which i can mount it on but i would really like to mount it on the wall. I think it would look cleaner but with the hard to understand directions Lange includes i would be scared that the wall mounted idea will not hold a JKU top. Pics would be awesome!

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I have never seen the directions, but I think the rack system mounts to the ceiling and the electric winch mounts to the wall for easy access for the controls.

·
Registered
135 Posts
U should fry up that beavers tail for dinner....the one that gnawed that hole in your garage ceiling.
Joking...just joking. I have the HF mod to do also...i actually like the through ceiling idea.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great idea Sandy. I ordered the hoist lift one and wad down at HB the next day thinking I could have done it that way for cheaper. Oh well...think I paid $250 with the steel mounting bar, lag bolts, and straps. Not too far off. Nice work though!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why do you call it a dead man? is the weight of the top going to be too much for the eyelets you mounted since no weight is on the hoist now? and draw backs to a wall setup vs the ceiling?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mine didn't come with straps. Still trying to figure out the best way to strap it to the hoist.
Thank you. :)

why do you call it a dead man? is the weight of the top going to be too much for the eyelets you mounted since no weight is on the hoist now? and draw backs to a wall setup vs the ceiling?
I have the pulley suspended between two hooks. The far one is just used as an an anchor(dead man). The goal is to take stress off of using a direct hang. The top should move up and down at a slower speed also.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. :)

I have the pulley suspended between two hooks. The far one is just used as an an anchor(dead man). The goal is to take stress off of using a direct hang. The top should move up and down at a slower speed also.
Thanks for the input, may I as why you did not hang it directly to your ceiling? Is the hoist less effective or less strong by hanging it on the wall. Forgive me but I am a noob with this stuff. I have come to the conclusion I can mount this anyway with my garage setup and mounting on the wall would be cleanest. My friends helping me say the same but I feel like it would be less strong than mounting to ceiling. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Thanks for the input, may I as why you did not hang it directly to your ceiling? Is the hoist less effective or less strong by hanging it on the wall. Forgive me but I am a noob with this stuff. I have come to the conclusion I can mount this anyway with my garage setup and mounting on the wall would be cleanest. My friends helping me say the same but I feel like it would be less strong than mounting to ceiling. Thanks!
I installed the motor on the wall to raise the top as high as possible, to have the controller near the wall, and the power source was more convenient as well.

The motor will raise 440 pounds, about four times the weight of my top. Doing the deadman should theoretically lower the amount force needed vs just hanging and will allow a slower raising and lowering of the top.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it does. I would love to do that but the way the pulley mounts to the Lange frame I cannot point the frame toward the garage door. In other words how did you mount the frame that picks up the top to the pulley system. The hook does not fit the holes in the frame that fastens to the hard top.

Thanks again that info really helps

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mounted mine to the wall and used two pulleys. The two pulley set-up slow the hoist speed to half, which makes it easier to handle alone. It also cuts down on the spinning of the top and puts half the stress on each eye bolt. I also think I can get my top a bit higher with this set-up.

Ceiling Room Wall Electrical wiring Interior design

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.