Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 33's and want to put a 33 for a spare. I'm concerned it might be too heavy for the door.I have a 31 on there now. I'm trying to stay away from a tire carrier. I know there are replacement holders that accomadate 33's so they will fit but I'm concerned about the weight. Anyone have any experience with this? How about heavier tailgater hinges? Is there such a thing? I can't seem to locate them if there is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got a 30 on there and it's too heavy. The hinges are already sagging. Long-term solution is buy a bumper with integrated tire carrier. (But I already bought one without :( )

Also might make a big difference whether you have a steel or aluminum wheel in there. I used to have my (4runner) winter tires on steel and summer tires on aluminum. I was always amazed at the difference when I changed them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm running 33's and want to put a 33 for a spare. I'm concerned it might be too heavy for the door.I have a 31 on there now. I'm trying to stay away from a tire carrier. I know there are replacement holders that accomadate 33's so they will fit but I'm concerned about the weight. Anyone have any experience with this? How about heavier tailgater hinges? Is there such a thing? I can't seem to locate them if there is.
I'm having a swing out carrier built right now. It will be able to handle a 37" tire even though I will only have a 33" on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts