Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I love the way my jk drives and rides now, but one of these day I wana put 285s on it , will I need a lift ,I don't tire rub . Sombody talked about spacers but are they safe. Will spaces put more stress on my hubs. What do I need to do to make these larger tires work well. Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Insert something witty...
596 Posts
It is my understanding that if you go with aftermarket wheels that have a smaller backspace, then there will me no issue with tire rub. The only issue occurs when 285's are on stock wheels. If this is the case, you will have some tore rub, and wheel spacer will be needed. I have contemplated getting them myself in the past, but I am not 100% convinced that they are totally safe.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Well, you can get by without spacers but they will rub the edge of the swaybar were it bends at full hard turns. It won't rub as far as normal driving just at hard turns. Some people who don't like spacers but still plan on using stock wheels will adjust the turn stop so it will turn a little less and thus not rub but the wheel spacers have came a long way from the spacers of the past.

With hub centric and a stronger light weight alloy used by good spacer companies like Spidertrax or Synergy among a couple others they are good alternatives and also gives your Jeep a better stance where the tires are not hidden under the fenders as much. But it up to you. They shouldn't put any more stress on your hubs then new wheels with 4.5" backspacing would because that is all the spacer is doing.

Here is mine with 285's and 1.5" wheel spacers

·
Registered
34 Posts
rics1997 said:
Well, you can get by without spacers but they will rub the edge of the swaybar were it bends at full hard turns. It won't rub as far as normal driving just at hard turns. Some people who don't like spacers but still plan on using stock wheels will adjust the turn stop so it will turn a little less and thus not rub but the wheel spacers have came a long way from the spacers of the past.

With hub centric and a stronger light weight alloy used by good spacer companies like Spidertrax or Synergy among a couple others they are good alternatives and also gives your Jeep a better stance where the tires are not hidden under the fenders as much. But it up to you. They shouldn't put any more stress on your hubs then new wheels with 4.5" backspacing would because that is all the spacer is doing.

Here is mine with 285's and 1.5" wheel spacers
Nice Jeep.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok I love the way my jk drives and rides now, but one of these day I wana put 285s on it , will I need a lift ,I don't tire rub . Sombody talked about spacers but are they safe. Will spaces put more stress on my hubs. What do I need to do to make these larger tires work well. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Question....are you potentially looking at new wheels too??? I just bought a 2011 JKU Sahara. Am getting the Procomp AT 285's on it, but am also going with new 17" black rocks. With the right backspace on new wheels you wouldnt need anything else. I am getting a leveling kit with bilstein shocks to level out the front end but you don't need that.

You would need no lift for 33" tires if you were to get new wheels with the right backspacing.

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do u guys suggested , should I get a leveling kit and spacers . Or a 2 inch bb. Iam planing on keeping it forever . Or Mabey both.?

·
Registered
276 Posts
What do u guys suggested , should I get a leveling kit and spacers . Or a 2 inch bb. Iam planing on keeping it forever . Or Mabey both.?
I just posted a topic similar to this somewhat. I will see what the response is, but generally if you want to keep your ride quality a level kit (spacers), and new shocks is the best option. Anymore lift etc exponentially alters your ride quality...or at least it can.

Daystar makes a 1.75" comfort lift kit I believe, but in my opinion going higher will alter the ride quality more than simply leveling out the front end.

Just my opinion will see what others think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered a 2012 Sahara unlimited. I am going to put a 2.5 teraflex lift or maybe one. Will order duratrac 33 inch tires to get a little lore lift.

Will buy new wheels too. Will not do much off roading. Do you gain anymore clearance by using an 18 inch rim versus 17. I know tires are a little cheaper but not worried about price so much.

But I know wheels probably even more. Let me know if I gain more lift. I would think I would but thought I read somewhere that it is not equal to a full inch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I ordered a 2012 Sahara unlimited. I am going to put a 2.5 teraflex lift or maybe one. Will order duratrac 33 inch tires to get a little lore lift.

Will buy new wheels too. Will not do much off roading. Do you gain anymore clearance by using an 18 inch rim versus 17. I know tires are a little cheaper but not worried about price so much.

But I know wheels probably even more. Let me know if I gain more lift. I would think I would but thought I read somewhere that it is not equal to a full inch.
Minimal at best. Generally 17" wheels would be what most go with although a lot go with 16". You are right it's more expensive for tires with 18" wheels, but if money isn't an object necessarily then go with it. I think the real difference you will get is the profile of the tire/wheel combo, not necessarily the lift. Looks like a beefier tire the smaller the wheel obviously.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Guys, most budget boosts are in fact leveling kits, eg, a 2.5" BB is actually probably a 2.5" lift up front and a 1.75" lift in the rear, etc.

There is no "exponential" affect as to ride quality at heights above what are actually billed as "leveling kits," at least not as pertaining to the suspension. You do cross a point at about 2.5" or so though where you start being interested in addressing track bar issues.

A 17" wheel versus an 18" wheel is irrelevant to clearance. The height of your tire--not wheels--affects clearance. Whether you have 33" tires on 18" wheels or 15" wheels, your clearance will be the same.

However, tires for wheels 18" and up are substantially more expensive than they are for smaller wheels. The popular 33" Goodyear DuraTracs for example are nearly $100 more per tire for the 18" size rather than the 15" size. You get a 33" tire either way, one set up just costs an extra $500.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
mhemingway
Stock tires are 31 or 32" tall. A 33" tire makes the Jeep a little further off the ground (1/2" more if stock tires are 32").
A 33" tire is always 33" tall. The only difference between a 33" tire for a 16" or 17" or 18" wheel is the size of the open hole in the center of the tire: the 16" tire will have a smaller hole in the center and taller sidewalls. Wheel size doesn't have anything to do with lift.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
rics,

Did you jump out of your rig to take that photo?!? It's pretty sweet is all I'm saying.

Lol, it's a service road near my house. No one hardly ever drives on it. My house is surrounded by a heavy wooded area and lighting sometime isn't great unless it's mid day.

What I am considering before my next tire change is going to 15" wheels myself. Those MB72 15" wheels look pretty good and cheap at $100 each. But the main reason I am considering 15: wheels is tire price. Most tires are around $100 cheaper for 15's then 17's for the same size tire. The 33" tires that I plan on getting are around $167 for 15's while $266 for 17's. That means free wheels and after that I can see around $500 saving for future tire replacement.

·
Registered
780 Posts
15" rims! Damn I wish we could fit 16's! Damn bigger brakes they give us! Possibly why our towing capacity is higher?

As for the OP, 1.5" spacers will not load the hub any more than 4.5in backspace rims. However, the spacers are not legal in most places and once the wheel is fitted you cant easily check the nuts on the original studs.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
SeaComms said:
However, the spacers are not legal in most places and once the wheel is fitted you cant easily check the nuts on the original studs.
In the US, they're only unlawful in a handful of states. No doubt different in Australia.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
MB72 15's are supposed to fit with no issues. Several people on the board bought them and said there was no issues also. But there are many 15's and some 16' that won't. Not sure why they can fit some and not others especially with 16's but there is a list floating around on which 15's will and won't fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts