Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a similar thread for the JKs back in the day, and it was really helpful while I was researching tires and wheels before buying.

For example - I ran Duratrac 285/70R17s on AEV Pintlers on my 2014 JKU Sahara with no lift. Minor trimming of the air dam was required.

As I understand it, we get a bit more space in the JL, correct? I know the Rubicon is now different than other trims when it comes to clearance, so perhaps this is two topics in one (please be sure to clarify which trim you’re addressing):

Largest tires without a lift for Sport/Sahara
Largest tires without a lift for Rubicon

Let’s say no lift/leveling kit, no washers, etc. Different wheels are fine (if specified), minor shaving (air dam, etc) should be fair game, too!

Apologies if we already have this covered for the JL.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There was a similar thread for the JKs back in the day, and it was really helpful while I was researching tires and wheels before buying.

For example - I ran Duratrac 285/70R17s on AEV Pintlers on my 2014 JKU Sahara with no lift. Minor trimming of the air dam was required.

As I understand it, we get a bit more space in the JL, correct? I know the Rubicon is now different than other trims when it comes to clearance, so perhaps this is two topics in one (please be sure to clarify which trim you’re addressing):

Largest tires without a lift for Sport/Sahara
Largest tires without a lift for Rubicon

Let’s say no lift/leveling kit, no washers, etc. Different wheels are fine (if specified), minor shaving (air dam, etc) should be fair game, too!

Apologies if we already have this covered for the JL.
The JK thread for largest tire is in the Tires and Wheels forum. I've already asked the starter of that thread if he could do a calculation for the new JL when he's able to. Hopefully before the year is out we will get something.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, hopefully he does the calculation - that’d be awesome! By the end of the year - eek, that’s a long ways away.

I’m sure people are (and will me) putting new tires and wheels on before 2019 rolls around. Maybe people can post updates of what they’ve found to fit as they complete their upgrades - to tide us over until the calculation comes out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how big of a tire the people with the 3.45 rear end could put on without any performance loss.
Yes, this is something a lot of us are indeed wondering. In all reality, this will be some sort of "sliding scale" or something that we measure with various "buckets" of impact:

No impact
Minimal impact
Moderate impact
Significant impact - not recommended
Extreme impact - unusable

·
Registered
5 Posts
33's on JL

Our local dealer put 33's on a JL Sport as they also have a 4x4 shop. Said that a lift was not required for this size. Looked good I thought and rode very well also!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ride difference with bigger tires

Stock JK Rubicon. I love the ride and feel of the tires (Stock M/t tires)and get great performance with them. Even the wife loves driving the jeep. No lift. I want wider tires though. If I go wider will it change the feel of the ride? Im not talking turning radius. Will the ride feel less smooth? Will the noise be louder? Im imagining same tire but wider using wheel spacer if need be. I don't want it being too loud or losing the quality ride I have now though.I just want the look of the tires outside the fender without messing the feel of the ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I read on another forum where a someone with a Sport S put installed 33s and driving on the interstate it will not switch into 8th gear anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I read on another forum where a someone with a Sport S put installed 33s and driving on the interstate it will not switch into 8th gear anymore.

I read the same thread. I don’t want to re-gear this time around and am staying in the 32 arena.
I was planning on buying Rubi 33 take offs (285/70 17), but after reading this article I plan on getting 275 KO2S on my current factory rims. I’m still tempted to get the 285.. 900$ for 5 wheels with only 100 Miles on em. Tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I’m shopping discount tire direct, and I put the 2017 JLU Unlimited Sport in, and these are the tires they lost that fit without needing new rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked for about 2+ weeks with mix reactions/experiences. I decided to give it a try and go for it. Specs:

2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport with 10K Miles

Wheels:TACTIK Circle 8 Classic Wheel in 17x9 with 4.75in Backspace" Bolt Pattern: 5x5/Size: 17x9/Backspacing: 4.75/Offset: - 6.35mm/Wheel Diameter: 17/Wheel Width: 9.0. I was able to use the same lug/nuts with no problem.

Tires : Cooper AT3 XLT LT315/70/R17(according to tire calculator this this is 34.4" x 12.4" 587Revs and 107.9R)

The only thing that had to be removed was the front bumper dust shield on each side about 5 screws 10 minutes on each side and thats it.
As far as driving,you cant really tell that bigger tires were installed,still drives as it did with the OEM wheels and tires.No rubbing while normal driving. A few days ago I had 3 people in the back one in the front and myself and while turning and going over a deep pothole the rear tire did hit the flare but didn't cause any damage. I've put about 400 miles and I have had any issues. I know as the time goes by the suspension will sag a little,at that point i will do a lift but for now is more than fine.I'm super happy with the outcome,Now it definitely feels and looks like a jeep. I hope this post helps others out there.

https://imgur.com/PYNG4N5

https://imgur.com/wklYGlx

https://imgur.com/m48n1BZ

https://imgur.com/AfEGFL7

https://imgur.com/yefd8GF

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was running the wheels and tires (275/65/20) from my previous Ram 1500 on my JL Sport and I did not experience any rubbing after I removed the bumper filler sections that also covered the rear of the fog lights. The adapters I was using were 1.25" ones. The tires were pretty close to being slicks, but since they were the LT tires, even with no tread, there was a lot of rubber left. I ran over a bolt and ended up with a 1/2" diameter hole in one of the tires, so I pulled them all off and went back to stock.

This was just for street use and around town. If there was a chance that I was going off-road or if I was taking a trip of any distance, I would swap back to the factory wheels and tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I'm running 255/70 R17, that size and 285/70 r17 should fit with no spacers and the right rim offset. I only know the factory offset works and not how much you have to work with..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Someone will chime in soon.. especially if I need to be corrected lol. Nice looking JL. I like those 2 doors

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone will chime in soon.. especially if I need to be corrected lol. Nice looking JL. I like those 2 doors
The 2-door models are not the small vehicle that the Wranglers have been known to be over the years. The 2-door JL is nearly exactly the same length as the 4-door Cherokee (XJ). Probably because the font and rear bumpers stick out more than on the XJ...

If you get rid of the rear seats, you have plenty of space inside them though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts