Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jeepers!
I'm planning to attend the EJS on Moab, probably just the first days.
Now, my full trip starts in Calgary, Alberta. I'll be going down to Las Vegas to meet some relatives. Then I'll be going from Las Vegas to Moab, and I'll have about 3 days for that section of the trip. This is where I need your help.
What would be the most interesting way to go from Las Vegas to Moab?
Something with nice scenery (I'm a pro photographer), not very complicated trails as I'll be on my own with the wife and not very far from civilization as I'll need lodging every night.
I was thinking about the possibility of seeing some of the Grand Canyon and stuff like in the RoadRunner cartoons... Grand Staircase maybe?
I have a 2013 2D JK, hard top, standard, 3.73, a modest less-than-2in lift and 32" narrow tires. What route would you recommend?
Cheers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, it will be from Moab to Vegas...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost 150 views and not a single reply... Did I post in the wrong forum???

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are a number of ways to go... see a lot of stuff... and make it to moab and stay on paved, gravel or graded roads... some may be heavily washboarded and kind of rough riding but pretty easy driving if you take your time.

Here is a route I would recommend... i have been to these places / on these roads so I know they are good routes.

Starting in Vegas, take a drive out to Hoover Dam then drive up lakeshore drive just west of hoover dam...you will then turn on highway 167 - northshore road. Some views of lake mead... though the low water level in the lake means it is farther to the lake now. Continue up this highway to Valley of Fire State Park.

Take interstate 15 to north of st George, ut... take hwy 9 through Zion National Park. Then head up hwy 89 towards Panguitch and turn onto hwy 12 towards Bryces Canyon... worth the stop.

Hwy 12 is a scenic byway... beautiful drive. Continue on past the town of Escalante and you eventually go over the hogbacks. You will know it when you are there by the extreme dropoff on both sides of the road.

So far, most of this route has been on pavement.

Soon after you cross the hogbacks, watch for a left turn onto a dirt road called "hells backbone." Probably 10 miles down this road, you will come to hells backbone bridge. Beautiful spot to see. Road might not be too good if it has rained in the past 24 hours or so.

When you get back to the highway, turn left to continue up hwy 12. Just a few miles up the road is the little town of Boulder. Town would be a serious exaggeration... but it is a remote area. Turn right onto the Burr Trail. The road is paved for a while.. through long canyon. The road will turn to gravel but is usually drivable. About 30 or so miles in you will come to some switchbacks. Its worth a drive down them.

If it has rained in the past day or so, you probably want to turn around at the bottom of the switchbacks when you find a place wide enough. Just as the canyon opens up you are on dirt that will be mud / stream if it has rained recently. You dont want to go there if it is muddy.

If it is muddy, go back to hwy 12 and drive up to Torrey. Go west to hanksville going across capital reef national park.... then take hwy 95 south.

If it is reasonsbly dry, continue on. You will come to an intersection where you can go north up the Notam road continue or south to Bullfrog on the burr trail. You will pass by an area overlooking the Waterpocket Fold. Nice views of the Henry Mountains...

Turn left onto hwy 276 and follow to hwy 95. Turn right towards Blanding.

Just past natural bridges national monument, look for hwy 261 turning to the right. Read the warning, laugh, then head on down the road. About 20 miles you will come to Moki Dugway. You will thank me for this.

Drive on down until the road intersects with hwy 193. You will pass by a turn going through the valley of the gods, but dont go that way. At hwy 193, If you want, turn right to see monument valley but I would go left. A few miles up there is a turn to the left to drive through the valley of the gods. It helps to look up the landmarks and mark them on your gps... once you do, it is easy to see why certain formations are named. You will exit valley of the gods just below moki dugway.

Head back to hwy 193 and head towards blanding then on to moab...

Note... distances between sentences and paragraphs are not to scale.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually, it will be from Moab to Vegas...

Ok... consider this route in the opposite direction.

Lots of places to stay along the route.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot Jeep_Monkey! Looks like I'll have to make the trip Moab-Vegas in a single day though...
Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for this post guys!!! I'll be in the area in June and was looking for a great way to get from Moab to Zion! This is perfect!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts