Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I've posted a couple threads on here about my clutch issues with the 88 jeep I've been doing and it has been to no avail, and I have finally realized why. Now i am a novice jeeper, I've always worked on pickups and dump trucks and cars, even done a full resto on a classic firebird, but I've never had to deal with a clutch so with my own stupidity and lack of knowledge I have misinformed all of you and that is why nobody could give me a good answer. Now what I thought was a "cable clutch" on the new trans I got was actually an ax-5 with an external slave but the slave was gone and without seeing one before I instantly jumped to cable clutch. I'm an idiot. But regardless now I have a new trans that I converted from an ext slave to an internal slave and am having the issue with lack of any clutch. Is it non compatable to do that or am I okay?

·
Registered
958 Posts
First, I have to ask why you converted from external to internal. Because there's nothing worse than dropping a trans when your slave goes out. Second, what isn't working? Is there no pressure? I'm guessing you've bled the slave after install? Just like a brake system, it won't work if you haven't. Not trying to condescend. Just wanting to be clear after your post. Also, if you're pumping the clutch when bleeding and nothing's happening, I'm guessing your clutch master has shit the bed. Keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I had no clue what I was looking at when I got the new trans, I knew the internal slave so I just tossed it all together.. looking back it was a bad idea. But I have moderate pressure in the pedal but its still slightly spongey and does not contact when I push it. I've bled it multiple times by hand and with a force bleeder but still got nothing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Make sure your master cylinder is good. A bad master wont allow your clutch pedal to do anything but cause you frustration.
Matt.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
First.......BLEED THE MASTER CYLINDER.......disconnect the line going to slave at the master and make up a line that routes back into the master BELOW fluid level...... pump this until NO BUBBLES appear for a good many pumps........ this step will save you a great deal of heartache.

Internal slaves can be a real PITA....... but if you can power bleed them, all the better. If it is not TOO late, you may want to consider going back to the external slave. WAY better in the long run for maintenance and ease of bleeding.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have the bell housing, output shaft sleeve or nose cone or whatever it is called, and the fork from the transmission. If I want to I could still swap it back over, I would just have to drop the trans again and get it on the bench. And I would need to replace the whole clutch hydraulic system but I hear you can get it as one solid unit and already pre bled, just bolt and go. Would this be the best plan of action?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I still have the bell housing, output shaft sleeve or nose cone or whatever it is called, and the fork from the transmission. If I want to I could still swap it back over, I would just have to drop the trans again and get it on the bench. And I would need to replace the whole clutch hydraulic system but I hear you can get it as one solid unit and already pre bled, just bolt and go. Would this be the best plan of action?
It depends on if you don't mind pulling your tranny. The external kit is a one piece slave and master already hooked up and bled. it only takes 15-20 minutes to swap out if ever needed. I just paid around $130.00 for mine a few months back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It depends on if you don't mind pulling your tranny. The external kit is a one piece slave and master already hooked up and bled. it only takes 15-20 minutes to swap out if ever needed. I just paid around $130.00 for mine a few months back.
Its a one day project, not too bad if you've got an extra hand, where did you get your slave and master setup?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i still have the bell housing, output shaft sleeve or nose cone or whatever it is called, and the fork from the transmission. If i want to i could still swap it back over, i would just have to drop the trans again and get it on the bench. And i would need to replace the whole clutch hydraulic system but i hear you can get it as one solid unit and already pre bled, just bolt and go. Would this be the best plan of action?
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys, once funds become available I'm going to go ahead and get that done, I can't wait to drive that pig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts