Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i go at my gfs house and I leave the car runing with the emergecies on.. on the way out i notice something dripping. I looked under and it was coming from behind the crankshaft pulley. My first thought was i blew a crank seal. Well after few seconds it stopped so i turned the jeep off and checked the oil.. no difference in oil level. Coolant looks fine, ps looks fine... any one has any idea? The gauges look fine. No overheating, 40 (+- 10) of oil pressure depends on rpms... No check engine light..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as update.. i still do not spot any more leaking...

Where is the blinker fluid suppose to be? I never heard of such thing.. :)

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
blinker fill hole is located next to the muffler bearing re-turn loop.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
okay, any more leaks, how does the water pump look? what about the hoses near there?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont see any leaks.. every mourinng i check.. no leaks at all.. oil is fine as well.. pressure is fine..

But thats even worse though because now i had a leak of something (i think engine oil but i'm not sure) and all the sudden it stopped so i'm thinking it was something that ran out of liquid...

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today i received my jeep from the dealer. They did the pressure test and the radiator started leaking so the waterpump was fine, so they replaced the radiator. I asked them then how did the waterpump leak at that specific place. They did not have a straight out answer but the guy said maybe the waterpump strugled agains the cloged radiator and it leaked few drops until it poped the radiator from so much pressure. Anyhow i will keep an eye on it but i do see the new radiator under my hood :) (that i got for free - warranty)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would definately keep an eye on the waterpump. Coolant leaks do some weird things but I personally have never seen a water pump leak a little then stop due to pressure unless there is some kind of stopleak in the system or the pump seal is weak. Where did the radiator pop at? If it popped in the right place the coolant could have found its way to the waterpump (via hoses and other parts) giving a false location.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Odhinn i belive the guy that did the pressure test said it leaked from the top. Also the wrangler waterpump has a weep hole... I gues its the outer part of the bearing so if the bearing fails or something else its starts leaking through there. http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/waterpump/waterpump01.jpg

Yes the pump has a weap hole, and will usually leak when the seal or bearing goes out. Usually when the pump seal is weak it will spurt out the weap hole when the system is pressureized. If the radiator cap is operating properly then the cap should release from the pressure before the weap hole leaks (unless you have a dead waterpump). As far the location of the leak. Coolant travels extensively through the compartment when leaking. I have even seen a coolant leak drip back by the rear of the transmission just from traveling down the manifold to the rear of the engine, then down the bell housing, and finally across the transmission. Just to add I absolutely hate tracking coolant leaks and use to use the dye to track them. I thought you might want an FYI warning so if your pump crashes you wouldn't be surprised.

Odhinn

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Odhinn
well i havn't seen any leaks on the ground in the morning since i've got it fixed so i hope it stays that way :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts