Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of recent I've been having extreme gas pressure release when I take off my gas cap and now there's leaking after a drive right underneath my charcoal canister. And there's liquid everywhere as you can see in the pic. Any thoughts if both issues are related?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your tank has two vents that tie together into one line and then lead towards the canister. The line is open all the way to the canister with no valve so there should be no restriction. The canister should never have fuel in it, only vapors. The two vents I talked about have a check valve in them to prevent liquid from going into the vent line. They are called "roll over" valves. Probably are defective. If the roll over valves are working correctly, they will only pass vapors and never liquid. Your tank should never pressurize. They're easy to replace and cheap, but you have to pull the tank to replace them. When doing, also replace the rubber grommet in the tank where they mount. Also, if you tend to over fill the tank (which most of us do anyways) a leaking roll over valve will most likely pass fuel into the canister. Once the canister is filled with liquid, I dont know if it can be saved or not. I replaced mine with one I bought on Amazon a few years ago because the controlling diaphragms had failed and it wasn't working correctly. However, looking at your photo, that doesnt appear to be fuel but oil? If so, you have another problem to look at. Your oil pressure sensor is on that side, the left side, rear of engine. Check there. Let us know what you find and we'll try to help. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your tank has two vents that tie together into one line and then lead towards the canister. The line is open all the way to the canister with no valve so there should be no restriction. The canister should never have fuel in it, only vapors. The two vents I talked about have a check valve in them to prevent liquid from going into the vent line. They are called "roll over" valves. Probably are defective. If the roll over valves are working correctly, they will only pass vapors and never liquid. Your tank should never pressurize. They're easy to replace and cheap, but you have to pull the tank to replace them. When doing, also replace the rubber grommet in the tank where they mount. Also, if you tend to over fill the tank (which most of us do anyways) a leaking roll over valve will most likely pass fuel into the canister. Once the canister is filled with liquid, I dont know if it can be saved or not. I replaced mine with one I bought on Amazon a few years ago because the controlling diaphragms had failed and it wasn't working correctly. However, looking at your photo, that doesnt appear to be fuel but oil? If so, you have another problem to look at. Your oil pressure sensor is on that side, the left side, rear of engine. Check there. Let us know what you find and we'll try to help. Good luck.
. I'll look even more closely at the engine for oil leaks, but everything I'm seeing I already took a picture of. Besides underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tank is so pressurized it farts Everytime I unscrew the gas cap. The gas nozzle always clicks and I have to feather the trigger. Takes 30 minutes to fill up lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts