Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my driver side axle seal tube is leaking. Should I replace the seal and buy a set of outer seals? Or should I buy nitro axle sleeves. I have a d30 and I mud more than anything. Any advice in direction would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Having that done Wednesday, both sides, one needs it. As well as upper and lower ball joints, axle joints-which are needed, shocks and a small lift. Staying low.

I feel I could do it. But have a friend who is gonna lead who has way more experience than I.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Would sleeves help with aligning the shafts back in place. I heard that the seals can be damaged on install?
The seals have cups in front of them so the shafts are all ready lined up. The seals can still be knicked when you slide a shaft in though.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I have heard that if you hit the seals while installing the shaft it can leak.
Make sure both axle guides are removed when you pull the shafts. Clean out everything real good. I took a rag with brake cleaner and pushed it through the tubes.
When installing the axles ... Go slow. I greased the splines at the end of the shafts too.
I posted a thread with some pics ... Go. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You have a 2014, why are you thinking about taking this on yourself? That's what the warranty is for. Use it. :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I had both of my rears replaced under warranty. It's a pretty complicated job...
Not really, me and one other guy tore my front all the way down and put it back togher is 3 hours friday and that was including rebuilding a suspension joint while we were at it.

This was in a shop with air and power tools though. Laying on the ground using jack stands and hand tools does take quite a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Not really, me and one other guy tore my front all the way down and put it back togher is 3 hours friday and that was including rebuilding a suspension joint while we were at it.

This was in a shop with air and power tools though. Laying on the ground using jack stands and hand tools does take quite a bit longer.
Fronts axles and rears are not the same...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
They each have their own potential issues, and ease will vary based on the tools you have at your disposal. It's not apples to apples

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
They each have their own potential issues, and ease will vary based on the tools you have at your disposal. It's not apples to apples
The part that most people are scared of (pulling the carrier and ring gear) is exctly the same process front and rear. The rest is just removing tires, unbolting brakes, unbolting bearings and sliding the axles out.

The only different issue you can run into in the rear that you wont have on the front is if you have a hard time with the parking brake

What exctly is your point?

Someone who has never done it can easly do one axle in their driveway with hand tools in 5/6 hours if they are good with tools. Or they could take it to a shop and get charged who knows how many hours an axle. Seeing how the O.P. has a 14 odds are its going to the dealership for free work

·
Registered
103 Posts
You have a lot of posts, but I'm tempted to say Welcome to Jeep ownership! If it's not leaking bad, just add oil. If you add too much, it will leak anyway - some leaking is normal for Jeeps, but maybe not those still under warranty. The front is easier to fix than the rear, as has been mentioned above.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The part that most people are scared of (pulling the carrier and ring gear) is exctly the same process front and rear. The rest is just removing tires, unbolting brakes, unbolting bearings and sliding the axles out.

The only different issue you can run into in the rear that you wont have on the front is if you have a hard time with the parking brake

What exctly is your point?

Someone who has never done it can easly do one axle in their driveway with hand tools in 5/6 hours if they are good with tools. Or they could take it to a shop and get charged who knows how many hours an axle. Seeing how the O.P. has a 14 odds are its going to the dealership for free work
The jeep is on its way to the dealership. I'm dropping it off on Thursday. I was just wondering if outer seals or axle sleeves would minimize this from happening again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts