Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a leaking coolant reservoir? I’m smelling coolant at times and looking under my Jeep, the leak appears to be coming from the reservoir. I kind of thought it was odd since my 2016 only has 35k miles and is already leaking.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
The coolant reservoirs are vented so it's normal to catch a slight whiff of coolant from time to time in that area when the motor is at normal temperatures. If you're smelling it too much though it could be a leak in the rad on the upper right side in the area of the coolant reservoir (that's where many report leaks)

·
Registered
116 Posts
My plastic reservoir bottle developed a crack and was replaced under warranty. I think there were around 10k miles on my JK when it happened.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I’m talking about

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And this

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine wasn't that bad but I caught it very early. Since it was still under warranty, I had the dealer diagnose it. It would be difficult to tell from pictures where the leak is coming from.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
If your keeping the coolant at the max level it's common for it to slosh out, especially when off road.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine cracked along one of the seams about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. They're about $25 and take about 5 minutes to replace. To me, it wasn't even worth taking it in for warranty.

As for diagnosing, I noticed that the level in the reservoir was low, added some premixed collant to it and it immediately started dripping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Couple months ago I took my 2018 jk with 18000 miles to the dealer. Small puddle in garage and my parking spot at work. Dealer said the overflow tank was cracked and they replaced it under warranty. Previous owner had the radiator cap replaced at around 1000 miles because it was leaking.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,487 Posts
Has anyone had a leaking coolant reservoir? I’m smelling coolant at times and looking under my Jeep, the leak appears to be coming from the reservoir. I kind of thought it was odd since my 2016 only has 35k miles and is already leaking.
We're sorry to learn of your experience. Are you considering having your dealer take a look? If so, please send our team a PM and we would be happy to provide additional support to your service visit.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine developed a leak also that drove me crazy. Only could see drips when crawling. Finally figured out it was the bottle. Ordered from Amazon-easy fix.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The way the bottle is attached fron the factory is allowing it to wiggle left to right, too much stress on the tabs, it will crack after a while.
I glued some felt furniture pads on mine to stop excessive movement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts