Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Leaking a crap ton of coolant. To the point the radiator is empty even when not running. The leak stems from what looks like behind the engine. I just ran it for 15 mins in the garage with full fluid, didn't over heat, not smoke coming out of engine bay or tail pipe and didnt over heat. I am racking my head over this one. Any advice? I can't seem to post photos for some reason, it's not a one or two drops but a crap ton. Leaks when engine is not on also. Thanks for any insight, really dont want to take it in but I'm almost at that point.
John

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Grab your self a small mirror and a flash light and find where its coming from.

·
Administrator
12,468 Posts
start simple. also which engine? I would start by removing the radiator cover and check for leaks there.. then theromostat housing and then if as yo said appeas to be coming from behind the engine. heater core area..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I have my "canvas lights " along with flash lights and mirror. Could it be the intake outtake gaskets??? Maybe leaking from the back?? Or heck maybe just leaking and I can't find it. Although I think it's strange that it steal leaks even when no on... am I wrong for thinking that?

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Get a tester. It pumps pressure into the system. If it’s coming from back of engine, that’s either head gasket or freeze plug.

Check oil for evidence of coolant..

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
what year rig? 2012 on up have had issues with the oil filter cooler housing which of course puts the leak coming out the back of the engine.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Have you checked your oil? When trying to find a coolant leak, always check your oil. If the oil on the dip stick looks like a milkshake, then the coolant is getting into the oil and that is definitely not good. In fact try not to drive it like that.

If the oil looks good, even if black, go to other locations.

As for posting photos, I use imgbb.com as a hosting site. I do reduce the size before uploading so it doesn't take forever, and I use paint to do that. One camera I use takes pictures that take up 8MB of space and the other takes up about 4MB per picture. I use the resize function in Paint and reduce the photo 50 to 60 percent per side (maintains proportions) and they upload faster.

Then when in imgbb, click on the photo and then when it comes up, hover your mouse over the icon on the right that looks likes a square with an arrow pointing out. You should see a phrase saying "Embed Codes", click on that. Then a box will pop up saying links, click on the down arrow for more choices and under links select "Direct Link".

The link that comes up should start "https://....." and if it does, you have the right one. Click on copy. Then go back to your edit/post box on WF. Above your edit box, you should see an icon that looks like it has a yellow background behind some mountains. Click on it, and a small box pops up and it has the start of a link "http://..." in it. Delete that and paste your https:// link in there. Then click on OK. You should then see your image show up in your post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts