Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peaked under my car looking at the condition of my shocks and I saw this.

What's the verdict? I'm gonna take it to a mechanic but don't trust him 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
That's minor. Looks like the fill plug may be loose. If your in my neck of the woods I'll check it for you.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Post your location. I'll check it for you if you're close to me.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree. That looks like it's from the fill plug, not the cover's gasket. It could be loose or someone could have just been very sloppy when checking or adding oil.

·
Registered
381 Posts
An observation that some of you may have experienced, I thought I had a serious front diff leak but on investigation turned out it was coolant overflow from the coolant overflow tank which is straight up from the diff. Unfortunately my jkuhr (2016) constantly gets hot on any hill or soft dirt drag on the tires.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An observation that some of you may have experienced, I thought I had a serious front diff leak but on investigation turned out it was coolant overflow from the coolant overflow tank which is straight up from the diff. Unfortunately my jkuhr (2016) constantly gets hot on any hill or soft dirt drag on the tires.

These are in the rear

·
Registered
381 Posts
understood, I was just adding color commentary as they say in tv...
if you run your hand along the bottom edge of the diff and it doesn't come up wet its just a beauty mark!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
understood, I was just adding color commentary as they say in tv...
if you run your hand along the bottom edge of the diff and it doesn't come up wet its just a beauty mark!

I've been taking to a forum member and I'm gonna try and fix it myself.
This is also good info, thank you sir

·
Registered
844 Posts
Its just a mess from a sloppy fill job or a one poster mentioned, the fill plug might not be completely tight. You don't need a mechanic for this.

Clean up the oil on the cover, tighten the fill plug a tad (to be sure its tight -
don't over-tighten) and call it a day. What you are looking at is from a fraction of a teaspoon of gear oil.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I would check to make sure the fill plug is tight and clean the area with some brake cleaner. That way you can see if it is continue to leak.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have the same growing from center stain on mine at times and all I have to do is take the plug out (good time to check level) and clean both the housing's and the plugs threads and tighten it back up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
One of the mechanic tricks is to clean such a part (break free works pretty good) wipe clean and then observe for leakage but I bet just needs to be snugged tight. If not, you will be able to see where coming from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts