Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a while now ive noticed an antifreeze smell when i run the heat. Its not always as strong as some times but its there 90% of the time. Now ive noticed coolant coming out if the drain tube on the firewall but my floor is dry? Also buy coolant system seems to hold presssure fairly well, im wondering if maybe a hose connection is seeping somewhere...just do not want to tear the whole dash down just to find that my problem is somewhere else...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,111 Posts
Smelling coolant inside the passenger compartment is often/usually a sign of a leaky heater core.

Are you sure it's coolant coming out of the firewall drain tube? That tube is only supposed to have water/condensation coming out of it from the a/c system. No coolant should be coming out of that drain tube.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My jeep isnt equiped with AC. guess ill be doing this tonight. :dance:

Hopefully the autozone core will fit, i cant afford to dish out 200 bucks for a dealership core. Hell if the cheap core lasted through this winter ide be happy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Probably heater core. It really is not as bad a job as some make it out to be. It is time consuming though. Figure about 6-8 hours if you do not have a/c. It helps to have someone help move the dash out of the way when you remove the air-box.

Are you sure you can buy a Mopar heater core for $200? It's a no-brainer to grab it if you can get one for $200. I think a heater core from Mopar is going to cost way more then $200. It's closer to $500, about $425 with a discount.

A Spectra Premium from Autozone is $60.

Quality control for aftermarket heater cores are not consistent. It will take time to locate a good one that fits correctly. Call every Autozone in your area to find out who has the core. Place everyone of them on hold. Take your old core and / or air box with you and try core until one fits perfectly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its 3:50am and i just finished up replacing the heater core. Started around 9pm. Was not too bad a job and i did it without removing the dash completely. Also the Spectra core from autozone fit perfectly. Now if it makes it through the winter i would say its $66 well spent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts