Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the Jeep today tracking down a noise, when I noticed there was transmission fluid collected on the bellhousing, crossmember, and even a little on the exhaust crossover. After checking the drain plug to make sure it was still tight, I noticed it was coming from the front of the bellhousing, mostly on the passenger side.

I've heard that sometimes the breather vent up under the shift boot gets blocked, would that be enough to cause something like this? Is there any way to get to the vent on a '12+ JK other than removing the console? I'm planning on trying that tomorrow, before I freak out that a major seal is going...

Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shone a flashlight in front of the oil filter canister, and there wasn't any oil pooled there, so I'd *think* that the cooler was fine? Is there a diagnostic for a rear main?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
oil cooler...

·
Registered
660 Posts
I shone a flashlight in front of the oil filter canister, and there wasn't any oil pooled there, so I'd *think* that the cooler was fine? Is there a diagnostic for a rear main?
To check the rear main seal, pull off the rubber grommets and shine a flashlight up at the back of the engine. Look for any oil up there.

I'd also check the PCV valve. It's on the passenger side of the engine, in the rear.
. When we had a leak there, I found it by feeling around that area.

However, both of these leaks would be oil, not transmission fluid. If you have a transmission cooler (I believe all auto transmissions JK have them), it could be coming from the lines to the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
I was under the Jeep today tracking down a noise, when I noticed there was transmission fluid collected on the bellhousing, crossmember, and even a little on the exhaust crossover. After checking the drain plug to make sure it was still tight, I noticed it was coming from the front of the bellhousing, mostly on the passenger side.

I've heard that sometimes the breather vent up under the shift boot gets blocked, would that be enough to cause something like this? Is there any way to get to the vent on a '12+ JK other than removing the console? I'm planning on trying that tomorrow, before I freak out that a major seal is going...

Thanks!
Taking off that tower is nothing compared to alternative. I’m gonna assume that you’re sure it’s transmission fluid.

Not to freak you out...Possible input shaft seal. Hopefully it’s not. Quite a different thing than output shaft seal. Have you checked slave cylinder and the area around that?

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
To check the rear main seal, pull off the rubber grommets and shine a flashlight up at the back of the engine. Look for any oil up there.

I'd also check the PCV valve. It's on the passenger side of the engine, in the rear. You can get more info on it here. When we had a leak there, I found it by feeling around that area.

However, both of these leaks would be oil, not transmission fluid. If you have a transmission cooler (I believe all auto transmissions JK have them), it could be coming from the lines to the radiator.
Title states it’s the manual transmission. No cooler lines on a manny tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts