Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm the proud owner of a 1995 YJ with a 4.0 manual transmission. Having said all that I'm losing my mind over a leak I just found. It looks like it's leaking transmission fluid between the transmission and the rear drive shaft. If anyone could fill me in on what it could be. Hoping it's just orings or a seal but I can't be for sure. I'm attaching a picture of the leak. Where the green is on the transmission is where the drop is forming. It leaks about a 1in diameter pool over about 3-4 hours after driving and getting hot then it seems to stop. Thanks guys hope to get some learning.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
99% chance it's the rear output seal they cost like $15. Just have to take the driveshaft out pull the seal and tap a new one in using a big socket.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
The transmission uses "yellow metal safe" 90W gear lube or 10W30 motor oil.
This post may start another long discussion about what's best.
The FSM is in error when it states to use GL5. GL5 has been found to erode our brass syncros (thus, we need yellow metal safe 90W like GL3...if you can find it).
That's why most of us use 10W30 motor oil.

The transfer case uses Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a similar leak, and it seems to me that there is some play in the prop shaft at the seal, possibly the cause of the wear in the seal. I assume I'll be replacing the seal and the bush.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The transfer case was a little too dry for comfort. I've added ATF 4 to it and I will update the leak status.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The transfer case tail shaft housing is know to be very weak cast metal. Sometimes all it takes is driving the seal in crooked or a worn bushing behind the seal and it can create a hairline crack that leaks exactly as you describe. Clean off the tail shaft housing really well and look to see where the oil is coming from.

If it leaks at the seal then they are cheap at o'reileys or autozone. if it is a crack in the housing then you will have to order a new one and they run about 25.00 to 30.00 dollars depending on where you get it. Much cheaper online.

If it is the seal be very careful pulling it out and putting the new one in so you don't crack the housing. While the seal is out try to move the end shaft to check the play in the bushing that's right behind the seal. if it is bad you can buy the bushing separately but you will have to remove the tail shaft housing to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After filling up the transfer case the leak still persists but not any worse than it was. I'll be changing the seal some time later this week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts