Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I do not know what they are called by I get water leaking into my jeep all the time. It seems to pour out from the screws that I screw into the roof to keep the hard top down on the sound bar. I have a 2009 rubicon. I did a search but mostly found a pillar issues with leaking not the kind I'm having.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
So, what you're trying to say is that you have a leak from your Freedom top bolt holes.

Have you checked to make sure the bolts aren't torqued down too tight? That is typically the reason why leaks occur with the hard top. Take them out, reseat the top and make sure it's installed and leveled correctly, then put the Freedom bolts in. They should be finger tight, not torqued down tight.

You actually don't even need those bolts installed, if you're running the whole top. They are only NEEDED when running the Freedom panels withOUT the rest of the hard top.

To test the integrity of the top, maybe you could remove the bolts completely, make sure the panels are installed correctly and level, then run a hose over the top to see if it still leaks?

That would be my first step at troubleshooting. Good luck! :thumb:

I also edited the title of your thread for you to make it more descriptive. Hopefully someone who has had the same problem will see the new title and stop in to offer you some more ideas. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, what you're trying to say is that you have a leak from your Freedom top bolt holes. Have you checked to make sure the bolts aren't torqued down too tight? That is typically the reason why leaks occur with the hard top. Take them out, reseat the top and make sure it's installed and leveled correctly, then out the Freedom bolts in. The pay should be finger tight, not torqued down tight. You actually don't even need those bolts installed, if you're running the whole top. They are only NEEDED when running the Freedom panels withOUT the rest of the hard top. To test the integrity of the top, maybe you could remove the bolts completely, make sure the panels are installed correctly and level, then run a hose over the top to see if it still leaks? That would be my first step at troubleshooting. Good luck! :thumb: I also edited the title of your thread for you to make it more descriptive. Hopefully someone who has had the same problem will see the new title and stop in to offer you some more ideas. :)
I do hand tighten them but very tight. I thought they were what kept it from leaking. Do you know where to purchase the weather stripping I need for the freedom top? I think I saw it folded down a bit and that might be the culprit as well. I rather be safe and replace the weather stripping while I am at it.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
It poured out of mine as well as leaking from the A pillar and just above my headunit at the windshield. All from having them too tight. I have the gummi Pflege and just left the bolts out. No problems after that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It poured out of mine as well as leaking from the A pillar and just above my headunit at the windshield. All from having them too tight. I have the gummi Pflege and just left the bolts out. No problems after that.
thanks I think I'm going to take them out then.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine was leaking from the thumb screws as well but it wasn't the seals but rather the passenger freedom panel was letting water in through a defective seam and from there it was coming out the thumb screw. I knew this was the case because I could hear water swishing around in the panel after it rained and after me telling the dealership 3 times and three times they replaced the seals to no avail they finally replaced the panel and I haven't had a leak of any kind in almost a year.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Does this middle part look like it's supposed to?
If you mean the dip down, then yes. You should probably give it a good cleaning and lube the seal with the gummi pflege or the shin etsu or some other grease for rubber seals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No leaks yet for me but I took the freedom tops off for the first time today. When I reinstalled them I noticed a small piece of black plastic sticking up from the back of the tops right where they come together. I imagine when they are installed it should be 100% flat with no little plastic pieces sticking up at all. Thoughts on this? It's a tiny bit of the weather stripping sticking up about 1/8".

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
No leaks yet for me but I took the freedom tops off for the first time today. When I reinstalled them I noticed a small piece of black plastic sticking up from the back of the tops right where they come together. I imagine when they are installed it should be 100% flat with no little plastic pieces sticking up at all. Thoughts on this? It's a tiny bit of the weather stripping sticking up about 1/8".
Yeah, that's not the way it's supposed to be. Sometimes they can be shifted and cause the weatherstrip to bulge. The sound bar bolts may also be too tight and causing it to bulge. Try to re-seat them in the proper order - passenger side, front latch, rear latch - driver side, front latch, rear latch then the two center latches, finally-snug the sound bar bolts just barely finger tight. Also, when you are seating the panels, do so from directly underneath, either passenger or driver side. Get below it, lift and drop it straight down.

If it's not a bulge, but loose weatherstrip, you will need to stick it down where it should be or have your dealer do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that's not the way it's supposed to be. Sometimes they can be shifted and cause the weatherstrip to bulge. The sound bar bolts may also be too tight and causing it to bulge. Try to re-seat them in the proper order - passenger side, front latch, rear latch - driver side, front latch, rear latch then the two center latches, finally-snug the sound bar bolts just barely finger tight. Also, when you are seating the panels, do so from directly underneath, either passenger or driver side. Get below it, lift and drop it straight down.

If it's not a bulge, but loose weatherstrip, you will need to stick it down where it should be or have your dealer do it.
Okay, I figured as much. Seems it should be perfectly flush with no rubber sticking out, even a little 1/8" piece.

I'll re-seat it when my wife gets home today from work for her. Thanks for the tips, I'll try doing it that way as well as from inside to get it to seat properly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some rain today and after I had already took off the freedom panel screw in bolts I still leaked. Does anyone know where I can buy the factory weatherstripping. price isn't really an issue as long as it's reasonable and not outrageous. I just want it to be oem I would feel like it would be a safer bet that way. If it comes pre molded at least.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ive found that mine leaks if I dont tighten those "bolts" down tight enough or if the panel isnt aligned properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts