Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any leak issues with 2014.
Just got JKURX last week and I have 150 miles on it. During the rain yesterday I noticed my passenger floor board had water in it. Nothing from top was wet, I checked my freedom tops to make certain they were seated correctly and everything seemed fine.

Sat in the jeep watching it and it appears water is getting in from a door seal maybe and running down the jam into the floor board I think.

Thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just got in mine this morning and same thing on both sides although I have drips coming from the top. Brand new and not happy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. This morning when I got in the Jeep I noticed a small amount of water on the left side of my driver slush mat. Was dry last night. Nothing else wet just some on the mat. Didn't have time to investigate yet. I have a 2014 with a soft top on it now.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Funny you should bring this up. This morning when I got in the Jeep I noticed a small amount of water on the left side of my driver slush mat. Was dry last night. Nothing else wet just some on the mat. Didn't have time to investigate yet. I have a 2014 with a soft top on it now.
We are!

Hopefully, it's just an issue with it not be sealed correctly.

Not sure about the soft tops but I know with the hard top you can just reseat it and it usually seals it up. So maybe just putting it down and then back up again will fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not to happy about either, I have my hard top on, but just can't find a place where it could be coming from the top.

I love this jeep, I mean love it, but I'm a bit concerned with all the problems I see in this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Anyone have any leak issues with 2014.
Just got JKURX last week and I have 150 miles on it. During the rain yesterday I noticed my passenger floor board had water in it. Nothing from top was wet, I checked my freedom tops to make certain they were seated correctly and everything seemed fine.

Sat in the jeep watching it and it appears water is getting in from a door seal maybe and running down the jam into the floor board I think.

Thoughts or suggestions?
My first rain was yesterday (got the jeep 10 days ago.)

Same exact problem. Pax side a puddle on the slush mat, seems to be seeping slowly out from under the plastic inner door liner and down the sill.

On the driver side, I sat in it a few minutes and could feel a tiny splash on my knee every once in awhile. Looks like it's coming through the seal (door-to-rollbar seal, not the top seal) and hitting the window crank handle, and splashing out to hit me in the knee. Gonna have to research options here, and ultimately probably leave it off at the dealer.

Which will mean them making some adjustments in the dry, according to a factory repair manual. Then me waiting till the next rain and finding out it now leaks worse somewhere else.

Sigh. 19 years of convertible ownership and this is my first leaker...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the same issue. There is a pdf on diagnosing jeep leaks here.

After a lot of dealer trips and their inability to solve it, including wasting my time and energy, I went with NYC2000's recommendation. I put this grease all over the rubber parts regularly. No leaks!
HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first rain was yesterday (got the jeep 10 days ago.) Same exact problem. Pax side a puddle on the slush mat, seems to be seeping slowly out from under the plastic inner door liner and down the sill. On the driver side, I sat in it a few minutes and could feel a tiny splash on my knee every once in awhile. Looks like it's coming through the seal (door-to-rollbar seal, not the top seal) and hitting the window crank handle, and splashing out to hit me in the knee. Gonna have to research options here, and ultimately probably leave it off at the dealer. Which will mean them making some adjustments in the dry, according to a factory repair manual. Then me waiting till the next rain and finding out it now leaks worse somewhere else. Sigh. 19 years of convertible ownership and this is my first leaker...
That is exactly what I'm experiencing. Everyone says it's the top, but I don't believe that, I really think it's the door seals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue. There is a pdf on diagnosing jeep leaks here. After a lot of dealer trips and their inability to solve it, including wasting my time and energy, I went with NYC2000's recommendation. I put this grease all over the rubber parts regularly. No leaks! HTH

What year is yours? How long ago did u try this?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Leaks seem very prevalent with the Hard Top.

I have premium soft top on my 2014. Lots of up and down. No leaks. Mine has been flawless. Knock on wood as 3-4 inches of rain coming tomorrow.

From all of the reading I have done, the HT leaks seem to be seal / adjustment issues.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me about 2 or 3 weeks ago when we have really heavy rain here on long island. My driver's side carpet was soaked along the door sill. I took off the freedom top and reattached it to make sure it was tight(but not too tight.) I read a few months ago that if you over tighten your hardtop it could cause it to leak, uneven pressure on the seals. Also when you shut your doors, I think with the wrangler, the harder the better. To get the seal really tight around the door you almost have to slam it. I remember the night before the heavy rain not really closing the door very hard, but nothing inside indicated that it was open. I think that was the cause of my leak. Its rained off and on since then and ive checked it since and everythings been ok (knock on wood)

So if you have a leak, readjust you hard top/soft tops and make sure your doors are closed really tight. Could be as simple as that.

Its supposed to be nice this weekend, good chance to take out your carpets and let them dry out. Its actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 2014 with soft top. I have the same passenger door leak out the bottom sill. That happens when the jeep is stationary.

When moving after that, it drips from the top and into the door handle.

Not sure if they are related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leaks seem very prevalent with the Hard Top. I have premium soft top on my 2014. Lots of up and down. No leaks. Mine has been flawless. Knock on wood as 3-4 inches of rain coming tomorrow.
I also have the premium soft top, I guess it's time to out that on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had this on both sides of my 13 premium top. Serviced five times. Always fine when they replace a weather strip then after a month or two leak is back. I filed a lemon law suit. Lawyer says I will win either money or new jeep. Don't want new. I want it fixed. Too many mods to recover costs if I have to replace it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my 2014 a couple of months ago. The freedom top leaked like crazy. Dealership ordered a new Seal and Foam kit. They scraped off all the factory rubber and foam and replaced with the new kits. �� no more leaks��

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a passenger side leak on my '14 just hardtop, twice during really hard rain. Looks like it's coming from top front corner of the door. Raining like crazy now so we'll see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I end up readjusting the ttops and fixes the problem.. I make sure bolts are properly aligned when resitting tops.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
That is exactly what I'm experiencing. Everyone says it's the top, but I don't believe that, I really think it's the door seals.
Some people have reported that the mopar door sills caused leaks at the base of the door. I haven't had that problem, but take a look. Another member found that he had a leak under his dashboard on the passenger side. See if you can replicate the issue with a hose running while you're in the Jeep.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the same issue. There is a pdf on diagnosing jeep leaks here.

After a lot of dealer trips and their inability to solve it, including wasting my time and energy, I went with NYC2000's recommendation. I put this grease all over the rubber parts regularly. No leaks!
HTH
What year is yours? How long ago did u try this?
Bought in May 2013 with the premium soft top. Applied grease before winter 2013 and spring 2014. Had heavy thunderstorms and rain showers, no leaks with the grease applied.
Some people have reported that the mopar door sills caused leaks at the base of the door. I haven't had that problem, but take a look. Another member found that he had a leak under his dashboard on the passenger side. See if you can replicate the issue with a hose running while you're in the Jeep.
I have the mopar door sills and the dealer told me that was the reason. It wasn't the door sills, but weather stripping. All good now with your recommended grease.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts