Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the drive shaft comes into the axle its leaking. I'm sure its some outer seal that's bad. What's the name of seal and if anyone has a link to a write up on it I would be appreciative.

Is it difficult to do? Costly if I have to get someone to do it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd say front pinion seal. Part at Napa less than $8. Not too bad bad to have installed, maybe an hour???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pinion seal. Pretty basic job except for getting the nut torqued back down correctly.
- Remove drive shaft at pinion end.
- Remove pinion nut with impact and pull off the yoke. May need to tap the yoke to free it.
- Remove seal. Can use a punch to put a small hole in it, then thread in a self tapping screw to give you something to pull on. A claw hammer works fine.
- Clean area. I hit the pinion shaft with a emery cloth to clean it up some. If its real bad you will need to repace it.
- Permatex the seal edges and install. Tap lightly around the edges with a brass punch/drift until it seats fully. You have to make sure you seat it evenly.
- Re-install yoke and nut.
Here is the catch, you need to reinstall the nut so that there is 10 in-lbs of drag on the yoke. You can make alignment marks on the nut before taking it off to help. Hold the yoke with a large pipe wrench and then re-align the marks when tightening the nut back down. Use an in-lb torque wrench to check the rotational torque needed to rotate the pinion. Tighten in small increments and check toque until you get to 10 in-lbs. Use some thread lock on the threads.

D51

1 - 3 of 3 Posts