Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone hates those....

I've got a substantial leak from the trans on my 1997 (32rh). It has been there since I got it, but I got tired of topping it off so I pulled the skid, and replaced the gasket/filter. Welp, that didn't solve the problem, and I can't figure out where it's even coming from. b

I can take it for a ride, drop the skid and it wont drip for hours or even days, but then I go look and there's a puddle the size of a softball under it. I'm thinking I bent the pan from a possible over torquing, but I can't find a replacement to even try it. Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen pans leaking from over torquing. When I got my jeep, my pan was damaged like that. While I had the pan off for a fluid change, I took a large brass drift and tapped the flanges flat. Made sure I torqued it properly, and it hasn't leaked since.

If you want a new pan,

Have you cleaned the transmission to make sure it is the pan leaking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen pans leaking from over torquing. When I got my jeep, my pan was damaged like that. While I had the pan off for a fluid change, I took a large brass drift and tapped the flanges flat. Made sure I torqued it properly, and it hasn't leaked since.

If you want a new pan,

Have you cleaned the transmission to make sure it is the pan leaking?
Appreciate the response. I did wipe it down before, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the pan leaking. I've tried to catch it actually dripping out with the skid off, but I haven't been able to do it. My plan this weekend is to drive it till warm on Friday and then drop the skid and let it sit checking as often as I can, and as SOON as I can see a drip on the ground get my butt under it and see if I can tell where it's coming from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check where the coolant lines go into the trans. The connectors are very special little jobs, and the plastic can get old/brittle/or leak. This is what it was on my AW-4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts