Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have question for all of you out there. I have a water pump that is leaking, but so far, the only ill effect it seems to have had on my Jeep is that I have to fill up the coolant every so often. Now, if a water pump is leaking, is it possible that just the o-ring seal behind it needs replacing, or do you pretty much have to replace the pump if it starts leaking? Is there a way to test the function of the pump to see if it is still working?

Also, I've been told that on these Wranglers, when you replace the water pump, the fan clutch must be replaced at the same time. I guess if they are not the same age, whichever of the two is older can cause the other to wear out faster than it should. Is this true?

Thanks everyone, you're the best!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if it is leaking at the gasket where it mounts to the motor then you could just replace the gasket.if it is leaking around the shaft or the weep hole then you need to replace the pump..not necessary to replace fan clutch

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The o-ring or seal on the water pump fails from usually a worn bearing on the main shaft. As it fails the shaft no longer spins properly or it overheats ndthus the leak starts. So if you are thinking of replacing the o-ring or seal not really the solution to the problem buy the pump. The second question can be answered as if you want to be the preventive go ahead and replace them both I didn't and the clutch fan operates just fine just my way.

It is a matter of money/peace of mind and seriously with what some people do with their YJs yes Iwould replace anything suspect to keep from having a problem 50 miles off the mainroad. Great questions a lot of folks will be able to follow the thread and have some great info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, ya, sorry, I was talking about the gasket, but for some reason the word gasket was escaping me when I wrote this post.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
can you hear your bearings in your water pump

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
If the water is coming out of the weep hole, it will get worse, and it means water is passing the seal and running through the bearing, which will fail and leave you stranded. Put a pump on it and be done.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you're going to bother to rip the water pump off to replace the gasket you might as well drop the extra $30-$60 for a new pump as well. It's enough of a PITA that the extra miles you'll get out of it are worth it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it's original replace it! Now if it's new and you just have a bad spot on the gasket I have used the leak stop with the pellets in it and that works great. I put a new pump on my 500 ci Cadillac motor on my airboat and cracked the cast housing and the leak stop sealed that good (missed a bolt and cranked it tight till I heard a pop). Again though if it's an old pump just replace it you don't want to be on the side of the road in the cold trying to repair it. She's giving you a warning it's up to you to take care of it now or pay later! I think of my jeep like another wife both take most of my money to maintain but if you ignore either there will be he'll to pay! LOL

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I noticed a small drip from my jeep and thought it was just a seal and i thought i'll replace it. When i got home and put it in the garage i noticed more water next morning, checked levels and it had used a small amount of coolant. Topped it up and left if and used the wifes suzuki jimny for some jobs.that had to be done.
Went back to the garage on the day we were moving house and thought I'll check the water and as I opened the radiator cap .......whoosh all the water disapeared and landed on the floor.
Checked the water pump and it was all wobbly and loose.It was knackered.
Had to get it towed to my new house and ordered a new pump and gasket.
Just need to change it and i'll be back on the road.
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts