Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first post...
01 sport 95 k, 3 susp list 3 inch body lift 35 inch tires
Rancho 5000 shocks
When I turn the body wants to roll alot I just got this jeep. I have had other jeeps in the past but all were stock on 33 inch tires I want my younger daughter to drive it but am afraid she isn't experienced enough to handle the "yaw" how can I tighten up the feel? are the springs weak? Do I need a rear track bar.. I am willing to sacrifice a little to make the on road handling better and safer

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Hey guys first post...
01 sport 95 k, 3 susp list 3 inch body lift 35 inch tires
Rancho 5000 shocks
When I turn the body wants to roll alot I just got this jeep. I have had other jeeps in the past but all were stock on 33 inch tires I want my younger daughter to drive it but am afraid she isn't experienced enough to handle the "yaw" how can I tighten up the feel? are the springs weak? Do I need a rear track bar.. I am willing to sacrifice a little to make the on road handling better and safer
Do you not have a rear trackbar? This is REQUIRED on a jeep running coil springs and the stock suspension configuration.

Do you have sway bars front and rear? and are they connected?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Yeah, without the front swaybars links attached it will handle like a slinky.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Make sure it has both the front and rear antiswaybars installed and that both are connected on both sides. It's certainly not your Rancho R5000 shocks which are as stiff as they come. Also, are your 35" tires at the right air pressure? 25-26 is about right for them, nothing less.

Finally, a 3" body lift is, plain and simple, a bad idea... not to mention it will make any Jeep sway more around curves due to it raising its center-of-gravity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok checked it out ..front left sway bar link disconnected ...Wow ! Handles much better after connecting it... Rear sway bar GONE... Would someone take it off ??or would it fall off?? Can't find tire pressure gauge ugh but will check pressure tomorrow. Didn't realize that front sway bar would make that much of a difference. So now here is the added question ... Will a rear sway bar even help more?? Are there tighter sway bars than others or will a stock be fine And will removing the body lift or replacing with a smaller one help even more with the handling.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Superdave1017 said:
Ok checked it out ..front left sway bar link disconnected ...Wow ! Handles much better after connecting it... Rear sway bar GONE... Would someone take it off ??or would it fall off?? Can't find tire pressure gauge ugh but will check pressure tomorrow. Didn't realize that front sway bar would make that much of a difference. So now here is the added question ... Will a rear sway bar even help more?? Are there tighter sway bars than others or will a stock be fine And will removing the body lift or replacing with a smaller one help even more with the handling.
I think some of the 4cyl TJs didn't come with a rear one (I have no idea why) but it couldn't hurt. Lowering the body lift would reduce the center of gravity so it would make it lean less.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
While some of the low-end SE (4 cylinder) Jeeps didn't come with a rear antiswaybar, your Sport definitely did so the previous owner must have removed it. Yep, installing one will make a very noticeable improvement in handling. And the stock OE antiswaybar is fine, no need for a stiffer version. Finally, installing a rear antiswaybar is a very simple process... four bolts and two brackets hold it to the axle, then a bolt on each of the two links connect it to the chassis. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
While some of the low-end SE (4 cylinder) Jeeps didn't come with a rear antiswaybar, your Sport definitely did so the previous owner must have removed it. Yep, installing one will make a very noticeable improvement in handling. And the stock OE antiswaybar is fine, no need for a stiffer version. Finally, installing a rear antiswaybar is a very simple process... four bolts and two brackets hold it to the axle, then a bolt on each of the two links connect it to the chassis. :)
Guys
Thank you sooo much. It's peeps like you that make these forums worth a darn!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
By the way Dave, you should be able to find a good used rear antiswaybar and its mounting brackets someplace like eBay. The same antiswaybar and mounting brackets are shared between both rear axles that came on the Wrangler, both the Dana 35c and Dana 44.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts