Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit - I'm a newbie...

I'm about to order a JKUR automatic keeping 4.10 rear axle. I've heard/read and agree with the advice of "drive it offroad first to see if you need a lift or not". That is my plan.

However... I'd like to learn about next steps *IF* I do want to augment. I currently really doubt I'll want to regear beyond the 4.10 but who knows. Is there a "lifting your Jeep for dummies" tutorial out there to help educate newbies like me?

Assuming suspension upgrades are on some scale, call it 1 through 10 where 10 is some of those insanely capable Jeeps you see on youtube videos and 1 is just adding some spacers and not touching tires. I'd like to understand what that spread looks like and why people choose what they choose.

BTW: I never envision that I'll want to reach that 10... or even 7. :)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Start here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-tech-common-questions-here-622938.html

Make sure you check out the Newby's guide to lifting your JK, So you want bigger tires and watch the TeraFlex lift video. Those are good ones to start with.

:)

I'd also recommend you check out the JK Build section. Tons of threads there, people showing what they did and some tell why they did it. You'll find LOTS of pictures and good information there.

·
Super Moderator
8,240 Posts
Hi GordonSmith! I am in Phoenix as well (Scottsdale).

Do not kid yourself - especially the Rubicon is far more "insanely capable" bone stock than I suspect you realize it is.

What kind of offroad do you plan to do? We have a bit of everything out here from dirt road to insanely sideways.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The sticky in the Tech forum is great!

I plan on doing more than dirt roads, but not going sideways. :)

I want to be able to do Table Mesa road areas well, Black Canyon city west of I17, trips to Yuma, Lake Pleasant to Crown King, Sedona, etc. My initial thought was to do as much of that stock as possible and then when I find I hit limits consider lifts/etc. then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts