Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers seat has a 2" crack in the Leather surface.

I typically use Wilson's Premium Leather Conditioner when I detail (roughly every 3-4 months).

I dont carry a wallet or anything in my back pockets, so I have no idea why this is cracking.

2012 year model with 72,000 miles so I doubt it would be covered.

I do have the chryslerwarranty.com "Unlimited Lifetime" warranty....but would be surprised if it covers leather.

Anybody have insight on this?

THX all....happy trails....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Drivers seat has a 2" crack in the Leather surface.

I typically use Wilson's Premium Leather Conditioner when I detail (roughly every 3-4 months).

I dont carry a wallet or anything in my back pockets, so I have no idea why this is cracking.

2012 year model with 72,000 miles so I doubt it would be covered.

I do have the chryslerwarranty.com "Unlimited Lifetime" warranty....but would be surprised if it covers leather.

Anybody have insight on this?

THX all....happy trails....
I was all prepared to scold you on not taking care of the leather. That's crazy. You've been moisturizing the leather, so it shouldn't be cracking. Does anyone else drive it? My jeeps a little over a year old and the leather looks fine. Post some pics.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah....My rich Uncle Sam taught me the importance of leather care when I was bitching about how illogical it was to make boots shiney. After shining all of the boots in my platoon it was gently explained to me that it conditions the leather, and reduces the damage from the salt in perspiration. I learned several things that day....most importantly...dont bitch loud enough to be heard.

As for the seats, I am the primary driver (95%). I'll post pics once I have had enough coffee to care about getting dressed and going outside. lol. Im enjoying a slow sunday morning. hahahaha

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm not surprised. I still have to call the dealer for some spots where its not brown. Its like paint chips on the exterior. The spots are green.

I'm not expecting them to last. When the time comes, I'll buy some seat covers and move them to the rear. Then I'll buy some mastercraft seats for the front!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it's cracking clear through the leather, you'll need it patched by a good upholsterer to stop the crack from going further. With such heavy use, you should be feeding the leather more often. OTOH, being familiar with the quality of Jeep interior materials, I wouldn't expect Jeep leather to hold up like a Bimmer's leather.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed.
but I was hoping it would last more than 3 years.
I mean....its not like Im using it as a trampoline or over-stressing it with my weight.

But it is what it is.

I gotta go in for the trans-line recall work soon and I'll ask real nice0like if they can do something about the seat under my "everything forever" extended warranty.

Cant blame me for dreaming. lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my 12 jku. I was pretty pissed that it could happen so soon. My dads 98 bimmer seats still look like new. I'm wondering if the fact I had the top off as much as possible, and the constant hot/cold from the seat warmers added to this? I just had both the rear axles replaced under warrenty becuase of a leak. I need to go back and have them tighten the e-brake cable, I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you let me know what they tell you....I'll let you know what they tell me. I've been reading other forums and am getting the impression that the leather cracking in this specific location is more common than anyone would like.

Fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
So much for those expensive "leather lined" seats. Nothing more than a hair thin layer of leather glued to fabric...and only in the center of the seating area. Yes, all the sides, back, head rest areas are made of good old color matched vinyl, or a fancier name, "Leatherette". You'l; be amazed to know that many BMW's come with German leatherette.
I do remember real leather...it was nice.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont give a shart if its aluminum foil....so long as it is intact.

Whether its leatherette...corinthian pleather....vinyl....sheep skin....denim...horse hair...canvass...burlap...or wood...so long as it aint cracked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts