Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Do you frequently have the top off and park in the sun?

Do you wear shorts?

Do you value the skin on the back of your legs?

If yes to these questions then go with cloth.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I had black leather in my black LJ, drove topless, wore shorts, never had a problem. I simply pushed the driver's seat up if it was going to be parked in the sun. SouthTJ is right in that you have to make more effort with leather interior in order to not get burned.

I like leather because it's easier to clean and it's more comfortable (to me). Also, we have a black lab that goes in the Jeep with us. Dog hair is definitely easier to clean off leather than off cloth.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had black leather in my black LJ, drove topless, wore shorts, never had a problem. I simply pushed the driver's seat up if it was going to be parked in the sun. SouthTJ is right in that you have to make more effort with leather interior in order to not get burned.

I like leather because it's easier to clean and it's more comfortable (to me). Also, we have a black lab that goes in the Jeep with us. Dog hair is definitely easier to clean off leather than off cloth.
+1 black leather.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you wear shorts?
Do you value the skin on the back of your legs?
Is that a concern because leather is rougher on the skin than cloth?

Also, I live in Wisconsin. And I plan to close the soft top when parking in the sun. Would that cover for the weathering?

Is sever cold bad for leather?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’ve been debating this myself. I usually go with leather in my cars but with the Jeep I’m thinking cloth will breathe better and be less painful with the top off.
I guess it depends on where you live but the leather in my other cars can be painfully hot after being parked outside and that’s with dark tinted windows, roof and a sunshade.
Leather is easier to clean though and seems more durable. I’ve always taken pretty good care of my cars but the leather has always been in good shape when I’ve gotten rid of them. Cloth on the other hand hasn’t fared so well.
In my opinion seat covers would void the negatives associated with cloth. With leather, besides placing something over the seat or using remote start to cool the car off I’m not sure how you can avoid burning your ass on leather during the summer.

Right now, I’m leaning more towards getting cloth and some seat covers.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Cloth all day long....leather is slick, hot when it's hot and cold when it's cold, and looks terrible once it wears. There are certain cars where I'd prefer leather but in a vehicle where I'll be off-camber and in the elements, I want cloth.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I went saddle leather.....ONLY becuse I wanted the ALL saddle seats. I think the interio looks less cave-like in saddle.

I would have been fine with cloth seats and another 1100 bucks in my pocket.

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Good thing leather comes with heated seats....and I had to drop another 500 bucks on remote start to cool it down/warm it up before I get in.

Pros - leather looks cool...and is easy to clean.
Cons - leather can be a pain in the ass...literally...

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Do you frequently have the top off and park in the sun? Yes

Do you wear shorts? Yes

Do you value the skin on the back of your legs? Yes

If yes to these questions then go with cloth. not so!
I have black leather and have left it out in the sun on several occasions the seats do not get hot, warm but not hot! The center console? Well it will burn the [email protected] out of you arm but that is the same whether cloth or leather. On top of that leather is way easier to keep clean. Just two cents from a black leather owner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I went with cloth in my JK and I wish I had of went with leather. I prefer the durability of leather and how easy they are to clean. And of course leather look nicer imo. I will probably try to find someone who wants to swap theirs out or get Katzkin installed one day.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I went with cloth in the JK and I wish I had of went with leather. I will probably try to find someone who wants to swap theirs out or get Katzkin installed one day.
Just curious....
Why do you wish you went leather?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't even want to know what a leather bolster would look like in a Wrangler after only a year of getting in and out. Cloth all the way!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
In my opinion seat covers would void the negatives associated with cloth. With leather, besides placing something over the seat or using remote start to cool the car off I’m not sure how you can avoid burning your ass on leather during the summer.
Bikini top. I run one all summer long. It's nice for the sun, it's nice for the showers. And it's nice for the seats too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Black vinyl is nice. Its cheap, waterproof, easy to clean, doesnt get too hot.

·
Registered
591 Posts
We got black leather and live in the desert. 115 Deg plus in summer and never had any burn problems. Roof off most of the time. So much easier to clean. When we get of the trails with a 1/16 of an inch of dust all over the inside, I can't imagine how long cloth will look clean. If you take care of the leather, then the leather will take care of you.:)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
+1 leather

like my friend said, its not the same as a car or other closed in vehicle having leather bake in the sun with the roof on and the heat is trapped in there. in jeep, the leather gets hot in the sun but not like what most people think because normally the top is off and it allows it to breathe. he always said his car leather got way hotter than his jeep leather ... unless hard top was on = moot point

just make sure you take care of it. condition it, clean it like everything else.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We got black leather and live in the desert. 115 Deg plus in summer and never had any burn problems. Roof off most of the time. So much easier to clean. When we get of the trails with a 1/16 of an inch of dust all over the inside, I can't imagine how long cloth will look clean. If you take care of the leather, then the leather will take care of you.:)
Don't see how. That's hot as Texas and I've gotten in to my cars with Leather that literally had me pulling my shorts down to cover my legs or looking for a gym towel to throw down. It could be that the full leather seats in a 911 likes to fry ass. My audi and GTR have alcantera with leather bolsters so its not the same problem. The Porsche is more the reason I'm skeptical with getting leather in my Jeep.
Had cloth in my last Tacoma and it wasn't bad and they do seem to breathe well, just think if I get cloth again I'll get seat covers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah... Arizona here as well. I can not get into my F250 without burning my legs on the leather. Would never get leather again! CLOTH all the way!!! And it will last so much longer and look better five years from now

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think he was saying that with the top off and the Jeep open the leather doesn't heat up like it does behind the glass of a closed up car. On a 115 degree day the leather might be a little warmer than the ambient air. Inside a closed up car behind glass the leather may be 160 degrees.

He did say that if the Jeep is closed up it is no different than a closed up car with leather seats.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts