Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the original rubber boot that came with the car is in the way of the shifter and causes the tranny to grind due to the body lift. The problem is that the folds in the original boot actually stick in towards the shifter and rub against the shifter stick. I was wondering if there is a leather boot that i can buy that can replace that. ive been looking but i cant find one. Anyone heard of this boot??

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Check pep boys.. i'm also thinking of leather boot since i dont like the foam/rubber stock boot. Too hard and just putting unnecesary pressure on the shifter and your hand while shifting. I know pep boys sells leather boots.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the original rubber boot that came with the car is in the way of the shifter and causes the tranny to grind due to the body lift. The problem is that the folds in the original boot actually stick in towards the shifter and rub against the shifter stick. I was wondering if there is a leather boot that i can buy that can replace that. ive been looking but i cant find one. Anyone heard of this boot??
when my girl bought her jeep, it didn't have the boot on it, i wonder if it is b/c of the problem your having?? we haven't had any luck finding a new boot either, if we do i'll post up

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I changed my rubber boot to the leather one. :) You have to cut it down, otherwise it is too big for the older TJ's openings. I glued mine to the old plastic trim ring after cutting it down and removing the metal frame thing. I just could NOT get it to fit on my Tuffy with it.

Not the best job in the world, but it works for me. I've noticed after having it for about 2 years, that it is starting to tear at a crease that is always there. Kinda sucks. Maybe one from another brand would work better...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's the write up on it.
It even includes the part #. It's about $14 at the dealer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a bunch guys, i really appreciate all the advice and references. Im gonna go to the dealer tomarow and try it out. ill let u guys know how it came out. Thanks again

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
so i'm still a bit confused do you have to take the center console apart and unhook it from underneath or what? Also for my old shifter i didnt like how the boot ended up looking on top because of that ring so i moved the ring down and used a piece of wire instead of the ring.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
No, the plastic ring around the rubber one should just pop off with a little bit of gentle persuasion. I broke mine twice, but superglue works wonders. :) The plastic ring works fine with the leather boot,but you have to glue it somehow.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Ok i just popped my stock boot off today. I gotta tell you its now so easy to shift. All i did was put a screw driver in the crack between the rubber boot on the bottom and the plastic in the back of it (rear side of the shifter) and pulled the boot up and it poped right out. There is a thicker rubber inside it which is the one causing the shifting problems for many.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts