Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We live in Alberta - winter is usually crap and can become crap at the drop of a hat. For my daughter's 08 I want to tell her to put into 4WD as soon as there is chance of snow - any week now - and leave it there until next summer. I don't know if my teenager would be a good judge of when 4WD is really "needed" or not. This seems to be safer - at least to me - than having her go into 4WD to get out of the ditch she just slid into.

But if she does run 4WD for 9 months, is this going to cause more wear or potential wear on the transfer case? If she does this would you suggest changing the oil more frequently than "normal"? How often?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Absolutely NOT. Yes, Hotlanta has an occasional snow, but generally the pavement is clear and DRY. Never, ever run 4WD on dry pavement. You can easily grenade the
transfer case that way.

When you put the transfer case into 4WD, you essentially lock the front and rear driveshafts together. Since it is unlikely that even though the tires on the front and rear axle are the same size and pressure that they will have the exact same rolling radius. Thus something has to slip with the difference. On wet or slippery pavement the tire do, on dry pavement, they can't and put pressure on the internals of the transfer case.

You would be better off showing her how to put it in 4 and take it out (on dirt or grass) and have her practice, so she can use it when the streets are slippery. Also be sure to advise her that while in 4WD she can go better than the vehicles around her but can't stop any better. (Some people tend to forget this).

Reactions: ChuffHugginLoognat

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
JK's can shift from 2 wd to 4 hi on the fly. If the road conditions are bad enough for 4 hi, she won't be going fast enough to prevent shifting into 4 hi.

Like said before, don't use 4 hi or 4 lo on dry pavement.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
IMO, leaving it in 4H all the time is much more dangerous than having a 2WD wrangler. In 4H, it will not handle nice around corners and it can catch a novice driver off guard. This is especially true if it's a mixed surface. I assume she'll also actually want to park in a parking lot at some point and make sharp turns? Not a good idea.

It sounds like you should trade the JK in on something with AWD.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,976 Posts
No, no and no..don't do that! They are not designed for what you want to do. That would cause very expensive repaires..plus it is unsafe !

Reactions: CTarna

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi
We live in Alberta - winter is usually crap and can become crap at the drop of a hat. For my daughter's 08 I want to tell her to put into 4WD as soon as there is chance of snow -
saskatchewan checking in

don't do it

bad idea

just teach her to put it into 4hi when she has trouble getting it started moving

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yep. Bad idea all around.

4WD is not AWD. There is a difference. 4WD in a JK will cause tremendous wear on the whole drivetrain if you drive it on the street. You'll likely break the rzeppa joints on the driveshafts pretty quickly.

AWD is designed to run on dry pavement without breaking anything. But the JK doesn't have AWD. So don't leave it in 4HI.

Teach your kid a simple lesson. If you can't get the Jeep started moving, you need to shift into 4WD. When it's convenient, shift back into 2WD. That's all you need 4WD for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I did not realize that 4WD was an issue on dry pavement. So unless the roads are covered in snow just leave it in 2WD?

But is the ESP more effective in 4WD than in 2WD? Or does the ESP just apply break and not power to correct skids?

I’m wondering about black ice that definitely happens around here even when the roads are fairly snow free. Not that even ESP would likely help on black ice but surely it couldn’t hurt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
as soon as there is chance of snow - any week now
I don't even want to think about snow yet hehe, at any rate I think we are still good for a few more weeks, at least before there is enough to warrant putting it into 4wd. The 4wd can be engaged/disengaged at speeds up to 70km/h so its always there if needed. As rgreen suggested just take her out and show her, it should be both fun and educational, also it would be a good test to make sure the 4wd is working properly before the snow hits.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Thanks. I did not realize that 4WD was an issue on dry pavement. So unless the roads are covered in snow just leave it in 2WD?

But is the ESP more effective in 4WD than in 2WD? Or does the ESP just apply break and not power to correct skids?

I’m wondering about black ice that definitely happens around here even when the roads are fairly snow free. Not that even ESP would likely help on black ice but surely it couldn’t hurt.
ESP is a full traction control system. It applies when braking and accelerating both. And it works in both 2WD and 4WD.

Nothing short of studded snow tires or chains will help with black ice. And even then they only help so much.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi
We live in Alberta - winter is usually crap and can become crap at the drop of a hat. For my daughter's 08 I want to tell her to put into 4WD as soon as there is chance of snow - any week now - and leave it there until next summer. I don't know if my teenager would be a good judge of when 4WD is really "needed" or not. This seems to be safer - at least to me - than having her go into 4WD to get out of the ditch she just slid into.

But if she does run 4WD for 9 months, is this going to cause more wear or potential wear on the transfer case? If she does this would you suggest changing the oil more frequently than "normal"? How often?

Thanks for the help.

I'm in Manitoba.
I'm in 4wd on first snowfall and it stays that way for the entire Winter.

As long as you have some form of slippery surface under your wheels no damage will occur other than normal wear/tear.

We're a little different than Alberta though. Once our snow hits it's cold enough so it doesn't leave until the Spring and there is always a layer of ice between you and the ground. Alberta with the Mountains, the snow can dry up, and that's when you should flip it back into 2wd.

4wd on dry pavement will most definitely do premature damage. Front and rear wheels are no different than left and right wheels in that there are times when they need to turn at different speeds. Left and right wheels have a differential to accomplish this but front and rear wheels (on a part time 4wd vehicle) are directly connected and there is no 'differential' built in to allow them to turn at different speeds. Therefore a slippery surface is NEEDED in order to take the place of a differential to allow the wheels to slip a little when they have to turn at different speeds. You can't get that necessary slippage on dry pavement so sooner or later your transfer case will pay the price.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much for the education. I’m glad I asked. I’ll teach her to put it in 4wd when the roads are covered in snow and to take it out when the chinooks hit.

Unfortunately that could be any time of the year. I remember a few years ago when it snowed every month - even JULY - that is just WRONG!

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
The most important lesson to teach her is 4wd is NOT 4 wheel stop!

·
Super Moderator
23,436 Posts
buy your daughter an AWD vehicle. Subaru outback, CRV, RAV, Audi (rumor has it some jeeps have it :) including a model of the new jl as an option)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I could have talked her into it she would definitely be driving a Subaru. But she loves her Jeep.

I got her the new Haka snow tires for the 4 wheel stopping. If I win the lotto I’ll get her a wrangler with AWD - sounds like the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Thanks very much for the education. I’m glad I asked. I’ll teach her to put it in 4wd when the roads are covered in snow and to take it out when the chinooks hit.

Unfortunately that could be any time of the year. I remember a few years ago when it snowed every month - even JULY - that is just WRONG!
Good idea. Besides...as a general rule, if you drive a vehicle you need to know how to operate it properly.

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Super Moderator
8,195 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts