Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have one of these kits and was wondering if anyone is leaving the factory rear isolator in to maintain factory rake. Most folks prefer the levelled look it seems.

I may end up towing a small trailer with some toys at some point (ATV, dirt bikes, jet ski, etc) and wouldn’t mind some rake so my headlights won’t be pointed at the moon if hauling.

Any pics of a JKU with the rear OEM isolators left in?

I’ll be on stock size KO2s until they wear out so it may look a bit goofy for now but cash doesn’t grow on trees.....

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
The first lift I ran was a spacer lift, but it was a TeraFlex spacer lift. And I left the stock rubber isolators in place front and rear. The TF BB had rear spacers 2" thich and front spacer 2.5" thick, so there was still some rake but less than stock. From what I hear, the AEV 2" BB has rear spacers a little shorter than the front spacers, but also not enough to completely level the Jeep. That usually requires rear spacer around an inch or so shorter than the front spacers. And that isn't what the AEV kit has. So even with the stock rubber isolators in place front and rear there will likely still be some rake to it.
The thickness of the rubber isolators is something like a 1/4" or so, I can't imagine they make that much of a difference. It would be a direct one to one as to how much difference they do make. If they are a quarter inch thick then they would make a quarter inch difference in height.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have installed no less than 10 of these kits. I would Leave isolators in.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have installed no less than 10 of these kits. I would Leave isolators in.
The way the install instructions read, the oem isolator is on top of the AEV spacer which sits directly on top of the spring correct? Not sure if it makes a difference but want to do it the right way.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I left the factory isolators in place when I installed the AEV 2" spacer lift as well.

Reactions: Stampederfan

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I left the factory isolators in place when I installed the AEV 2" spacer lift as well.
Did you have the OEM isolators on top and then the AEV spacers directly on the spring?

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I know with the TeraFlex spacer lift the spacer go on top, with the spring isolators between them and the springs. Otehrwise they aren't doing their job. But I seem to recall hearing that AEV tells you to do it different. I doubt it will matter, as long as the parts fit together nicely.

Checking the AEV instructions it does say to remove and discard the rear spring isolators. So there's that. If it were me I would leave them in between the spacer and the spring. But it isn't me, so there's that.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know with the TeraFlex spacer lift the spacer go on top, with the spring isolators between them and the springs. Otehrwise they aren't doing their job. But I seem to recall hearing that AEV tells you to do it different. I doubt it will matter, as long as the parts fit together nicely.

Checking the AEV instructions it does say to remove and discard the rear spring isolators. So there's that. If it were me I would leave them in between the spacer and the spring. But it isn't me, so there's that.
The most recent 2014 instruction from the AEV website has “Remove the factory spring isolator located on top of the spring (this will provide a more level vehicle, you may keep the factory isolator in place to maintain factory rake). Install the AEV Spring Spacer on top of factory springs making sure the top of the spring and spacer are properly located.”

Just spoke to AEV on their tech line and the factory isolator stays in its current position (closest to frame) which sits on the AEV spacer which sits directly on the spring. Which is pretty much what the instructions read if I’d thought about it a bit more.

Another one of the great questions of the world answered.

Thx to everyone who responded to this thread.

Have a good weekend and keep the shiny side up!:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Did you have the OEM isolators on top and then the AEV spacers directly on the spring?
I honestly can't remember, so I'll check on that for you. I also use an ARB trim packer on the passenger side (both front & rear) to help counter the 'lean' due to the fuel tank & my tank skid.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,859 Posts
Yes, the AEV puck sandwiches between the spring and isolator. I have this with Bilstein 5100's. I have a slight rake, but not nearly as steep as OEM. With a full tank its negligible.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Always retain the factory spring isolators, the spacers are made of a material that is too firm for direct contact with the spring. I have seen multiple spacers damaged due to installation without the isolators.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pucks go in, then the isolators go in next ontop of the end of the springs just like factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEV was saying to put the OEM isolators closest to the frame (original position), then the AEV pucks go in which are sitting right on top of the springs.

Not sure it really matters that much actually. Will get this thing in shortly.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
AEV was saying to put the OEM isolators closest to the frame (original position), then the AEV pucks go in which are sitting right on top of the springs.

Not sure it really matters that much actually. Will get this thing in shortly.

That would be a misprint. Call or message AEV to confirm if you like but All other lift kits leave the factory isolators against the springs in factory position .. The isolator is a soft cushion for the spring to reduce wear and noise..

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be a misprint. Call or message AEV to confirm if you like but All other lift kits leave the factory isolators against the springs in factory position .. The isolator is a soft cushion for the spring to reduce wear and noise..

Thx for clarifying - makes sense to me, AEV techline guy probably just misspoke.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My factory spacers are located above the AEV spacers.
I installed them quite a while ago, but I do remember either calling or emailing AEV to confirm where to put them.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Aev is different than everyone else. Isolators then space then coil. Done a bunch.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aev is different than everyone else. Isolators then space then coil. Done a bunch.
Thanks for the clarification. A bit odd that AEV does things different from everyone else but it’s all good.

Will get the order right when I install.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My factory spacers are located above the AEV spacers.
I installed them quite a while ago, but I do remember either calling or emailing AEV to confirm where to put them.
Yeah I was wondering when the AEV tech guy said the AEV spacer sits directly on the coil rather than the factory isolator but they’re the experts so I’ll go with what they say.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts