Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing led back up lights and tapped into the driver side rear taillight on my 2013 JKU.

I must have tapped into the wrong wire (white with green stripe), because the lights aren't turning on in reverse. Which wire is the correct one?

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not 100% sure because I haven't done it but I have been researching back up light options. I do believe I read on here that the white with green stripe was the correct one.

Have you tried to turn the bulb around? Some LEDs can only go in one way to work.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure because I haven't done it but I have been researching back up light options. I do believe I read on here that the white with green stripe was the correct one.

Have you tried to turn the bulb around? Some LEDs can only go in one way to work.
Yeah, I did, but, I have a pair... might be my ground too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you ground it?
I didn't want to drill into anything on the Jeep, so I came up with a half assed approach.

Within the rear tail light compartment, I used one of the bolt ends that bolts down the rear latch for the rear door. I added a couple washers, grounded the wire to the washers and then fastened it down with a nut...

Are there better options? :whistling:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pull the carpet pack in the rear corners up high and you'll find metal where you can drill a 1/8" hole, then use some sheet metal screws and do your grounds the right way.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You should be able to find a nut and bolt or a screw on the metal part of the actually body. You will need to sand that down. Paint isn't conductive. If there isn't anything close you might have to do what Gran Umpah said.

All electronic installs I have done on cars I was able to find something that was already there to use.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look and see what I can better ground with.

Also, I'm tapping into the white/green wire that's on my towing wiring harness that's attached to the taillight car harness. Is that an issue?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Did you splice in down near the receiver or inside the tail light housing?
If the former, that exposed location will eventually fail.
Just my 2 cents, but take the time and do it right. Good connections and good ground and you won't have to deal with it again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you splice in down near the receiver or inside the tail light housing?
If the former, that exposed location will eventually fail.
Just my 2 cents, but take the time and do it right. Good connections and good ground and you won't have to deal with it again.
It's in the housing, on the wire from the female tow harness plug that connects to the male car harness.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it to work, I just tapped it to the black ground wire.

Just a note for others... don't tap to the wires on the female tow harness plug, those wires are hot and will keep your lights on (stupid me).

·
Registered
91 Posts
How did you tap it in? "Vampire" taps or did you strip the wires and solder?

Want to attempt same today but ideally avoid rework.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Led?

I purchased blacked out tail lights and added led bulbs. I bought a block for the led wire to slow the flasher on. Is this something you bought? or just added?

Autozone has blocks to slow the flash, mine goes rather quick. I can post pics if you want. maybe we can help one another

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I purchased blacked out tail lights and added led bulbs. I bought a block for the led wire to slow the flasher on. Is this something you bought? or just added?

Autozone has blocks to slow the flash, mine goes rather quick. I can post pics if you want. maybe we can help one another
Well these back up lights were an option for my Poison Spyder rock brawler rear bumper (integrates into the bumper). So they come on when my reverse lights come on my tail lights.

·
Registered
157 Posts
scicero1 said:

His were backup only no tail lights so no flashing. I just have mine flashing fast. You can either wire a resistor in line or get a new relay. I have a tj so don't know what yours would be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used Rigid SRM Floods and the Rigid tail light brackets.

OK - did this the right way. I stripped the wires and soldered. It is green/white for POS and the incoming black from the wiring harness (NEG).

It's a very nice application. The bracket was great but attaching the screws inside the light housing was no fun since there is no clearance. Needed to enlist my 10 year old daughter with needle nose the get the bolt started.

To make the groove for the cable, I used a dremel. The circular file would have taken until 2014.

Also beware -- all fasteners are imperial, so you will need small imperial hex keys to get this together.

Still need to do the passenger side. If anyone wants, I can take pictures and post.

Happy New Year!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts