Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought any LED light bulbs for their 2014 Jeep Wrangler brake light/ turn signal that actually works without dash error messages or hyper flash?
I'm looking for plug and play, don't want to install Load resistors or new turn signal flasher. The bulbs have to be as bright or brighter than stock.
I'm already on my 3 set of LED bulbs that don't work.
If you found something that works and is plug & play, let me know the part number and where you got them.
I'm tired of trail and error : (

·
Registered
69 Posts
LED Replacement Bulbs for Marker lights and turn signals

What has everyones luck been running either CANBUS LEDs or NON CANBUS LEDs? Im waiting for my Jeep and ordered some bulbs but they are not CANBUS.

I'm ok with the Hyperflash issue but want to make sure they will work and I wont receive error codes.

I did some searching but couldnt find a clear cut answer. Thanks in advance for any help or information you can provide.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't know what your price range is, but I bought the IPCW LED tail lights in red. They come with all the resistors, look very close to stock when they're not illuminated and are VERY bright. Especially the backup lights. I've had them for a year and a half now, no hyperflash, no warning lights. Installation is about 5 minutes with a screwdriver.

They can be expensive if you buy from Quadratec, but I found a brand new in the box set from Ebay for cheap, you just gotta shop around a little.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks BleedsGreen. The issue I see with those style lights is that if you lose an LED the whole light has to be replaced. If you run replacement bulbs you can just switch out the bulb.

I do like the ones you shared though and will be looking into them further.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walmart sells a LED 3157 Canbus bulbs. I installed one on the drivers side for comparison on my 2014 Wrangler. No errors, but the Led is not as bright. They cost $15 for 2. They had them in ambler and red. I was going to try them on my rear brake lights, but Im guessing they will probably work error free but will not be as bright as stock bulbs. The LED bulbs have 15 of the LED cells, 12 around side and only 3 on the front to project out. My problem is my Smittybilt front bumper blocks most of my parking lights : ( so I want a LED that is brighter than stock. I'm really not interested paying 3 or 4 times more just to get a little brighter. Like I said they were $15 a pair at Walmart and don't want to pay $60 for LED's with the less or same brightness. Maybe someone has tried a brand that is brighter for $20 or $30 a pair. On 2014 they have to be the Canbus error free bulbs.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You'll need the CANBUS bulbs, and you'll need resistors to avoid hyperflash. I got some from Diode Dynamics and the install of the resistors was literally just as easy as the install of the bulbs. The tail lights look great and function perfectly. Best part is, I didn't even pay for the resistors. I ordered the bulbs, installed them, then a week later the hyperflash started. I emailed them and they sent a free resistor set to me with all the connections.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Does anyone know which flasher relay is needed to prevent hyper flash when using LED tail light bulbs?
It's a resistor you need, not a relay. A relay would be to wire in a switch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's a resistor you need, not a relay. A relay would be to wire in a switch.
Actually some flasher relays are electronic versus coil resistive relays. In some cases you can change out a coil resistive relay to electronic to compensate for having LED's to avoid hyperflash.

I do not how the Wranglers flashing is controlled so I cannot say changing to an electronic relay will help but it is not a unfounded question to ask.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Actually some flasher relays are electronic versus coil resistive relays. In some cases you can change out a coil resistive relay to electronic to compensate for having LED's to avoid hyperflash.

I do not how the Wranglers flashing is controlled so I cannot say changing to an electronic relay will help but it is not a unfounded question to ask.
Oh alright, I was unaware. Learn something new every day! So instead of adding resistance to the circuit to make the computer think it has OE bulbs, you'd be changing the entire flashing mechanism with this?

I have had great luck with the resistors that Diode Dynamics provided me. I just spliced them into the circuit with each taillight and the hyperflash went away, never to be seen again. If you haven't already bought the bulbs, I would recommend checking them out. If you already have them, they may still be able to help you out, they were super friendly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts