Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found a problem I didn’t even think could exist. So I upgraded to LED tail lights and only one side flickers. But its not because of the unit. To make sure both the tail lights work, I plugged the right side tail light into the left side to show that there is nothing wrong with the unit, and that everything works with the stock light. Next I installed both the new units, and the left one works normally, but the right side flickers even though I just proved the unit itself works. So somehow the wiring to my right tail light recognizes the stock one but not the new ones, but my left side is fine. Im gonna contact quadratec and see what they say but any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Which brand/model LED tail lights did you buy?

I suppose one form of troubleshooting would be to measure voltage present at each wire harness socket on both sides using a digital multimeter. I would suspect the OEM incandescent bulbs work with a wider range of operating voltages, and the new lights may have a narrower range of tolerances. Factor in the load resistor likely present in each new light assembly, and that may be an extremely specific voltage required. If there is a variance in voltage from left side to right side, it may be just enough to cause the issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the quadratec LED tail lights. They came with resistors. But what’s super weird is I plugged both units into the left side and they worked fine. I plugged both units into the right side and they both hyper flashed. I dont understand why the right side would have different tolerances than the left

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I bought the quadratec LED tail lights. They came with resistors. But what’s super weird is I plugged both units into the left side and they worked fine. I plugged both units into the right side and they both hyper flashed. I dont understand why the right side would have different tolerances than the left
As did I. Have had them on for a while now. I really like them, and they have been flawless so far- the quality appears quite good.

It may be a good idea to test voltage left and right, to narrow things down between a problem with the product (it can happen), or a problem unique to your Jeep that might do the same with a new, replacement set. I suppose it is possible for a longer wiring harness to have some voltage drop on one side, which could technically cause an issue. You swapping the lights left for right as you have done indicates they can potentially work properly on one side.

If you don't already own one, a digital multimeter can sometimes be had for as little as $20, and is a useful tool for all kinds of situations. I've owned a few over the years, from old school analog to a couple of newer Craftsman meters, and they can pay for themselves when it comes to troubleshooting electrical issues.

A slight difference in voltage shouldn't matter, but a larger difference may require some investigation.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
I have a set of JW Speaker LED Taillights that do the same thing. The passenger side when I lock/unlock has a weird flicker. I’ve had people behind me and have never been told they flicker under normal use, just when I lock and unlock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update, I got it to work! All I did was start the engine for a few minutes then i used my indicators and the one that was hyper flashing works normal now. My best guess is that somehow the voltage was low and letting the engine run fixed it. Weird how stuff works

·
Premium Member
6,996 Posts
Well, with the engine running you would have the 14.4v the alternator puts out throughout the Jeep. With the engine off, you would have only the battery voltage. Normally with a fully charged good battery, that would be 12.6v, but with an experienced battery and not quite fully charged, it may be 12.2v or lower.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, with the engine running you would have the 14.4v the alternator puts out throughout the Jeep. With the engine off, you would have only the battery voltage. Normally with a fully charged good battery, that would be 12.6v, but with an experienced battery and not quite fully charged, it may be 12.2v or lower.
Excellent point. Time to check that battery, OP.

When my OEM battery tanked, it read 12.26V and the Jeep wouldn't start- the headlights would flash and the starter solenoid would click, but no start. It was cold weather, so if I would have waited it may have turned over, but it was time to change out that battery for reliable service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent point. Time to check that battery, OP.
My battery is just over a year old. I bought the car used in 2017 and in late 2018 the battery died and i called AAA and i have one of theirs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts