Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
1st turn CAPS off. It's considered shouting and rude on forums.

2nd, your OEM headlight housings are designed for halogen bulbs. Swapping in those LED bulbs will scatter light all over and may blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is there another option for brighter head lights?

I've had vehicles with Bi Xenon headlamps and they are outstanding.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IF the leds are in line where the original filament was, then the light dispersion should also be similar.

That's a mixed bag of reviews, so I would contact the seller before ordering through the Amazon "Contact Seller" and ask them if you can return them un damaged if they do not perform etc. If that's the case, then it's worth a try.

Sure this is a lot cheaper then Truck Lights, but I seriously doubt they will perform on that level.

So if you but them do a lot of before and after pics and comparisons and ensure that they don't cause noise of your radios etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI: This is a comment directly off Amazon for the leds the OP is referencing:
Bought these for my 2014 Wrangler Unlimited. Shopping alternatives to spending hundreds of dollars on LEDs but I guess you get what you pay for. First, they are very bright and make everything brighter when driving at night. But, when inserted into the housing they are canted right which reflects all light left out of the housing and onto the road way. I can see clearly all the way across the opposite lane of travel but not the shoulder or into the woods to see potential road hazards (Deer in NJ). They do also flicker and cause radio interference with FM/AM radio when on. I will be returning them as soon as I coin up for more expensive lights.
I purchased a set of four of these for my 2011 GMC Sierra. They work pretty good and provide lots of light. BUT, they are not indexed properly (lined up in the housing like this: / instead of this -- ). I was able to modify the mounting to properly index them for my GMC, so they provide same cutoff and light pattern as halogen bulbs, they just provide more and "whiter" light.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Don't use them. They cause more problems than they solve.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
As above, an H4 conversion using Cibie or Hella housings is the best way to go for a lower entry fee...

A little has changed, but here's a copy of a post I made a while back:

There are a few options...

Do not take the numbers too seriously, but here you go:

For $40 you can get a 20% improvement by installing H13 Philips X-Treme Power lamps. These far outperform the Sylvania's.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9008-X...3+xtreme+power

For $100 you can get 40% improvement by installing Hella ECE housings with an H13 to H4 adapter. The Hella housing comes with an H4 lamp.

Hella Part 002395991 - 7" Round High/Low Beam Headlamp ECE - 4 Wheel Parts

Truck-Lite Part POI96630 - H4 to H13 Headlight Adapter - Fits 2007 to 2015 Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4 Wheel Parts

Then for $32 more you can improve that to 60% by adding the H4 Philips X-Treme Power lamp to the Hella housings.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9003-X...4+xtreme+power

For $120 more you can take that to 80% by adding the SMS Full Voltage harness which allows you to run the headlights directly from the battery using a relay system.

SMS H13 to H4 Upgrade Headlamp Harness For Jeep JK Wrangler 2007> - RallyLights.com

Or for $400 you can get the near 100% improvement with the Quadratec LED replacements with anti flicker harness.

Fall 2014 New & Hot - Quadratec

There are other brands like KC, Truck Lite and Peterson that offers these at prices ranging from $400 to $600.

Then there is the JW Speakers at $700...

And the HID Bi-Xenon Projectors at BIG $$$.

Hows that for options?

After reading about all and experiencing some of the different headlights myself for 2 years now, if the $$ didn't matter, I would would put in the newest JW Speakers. However, no other headlight has fewer negative reviews than the Quadratec's. So for the cost savings and really good performance, when I need to replace one of my H4 conversions for some reason, I'll put in the Quadratec's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As above, an H4 conversion using Cibie or Hella housings is the best way to go for a lower entry fee...

This is the way I went after reading yours and other similar posts of past.
Bottom line, works just as you said, not as good as led housing types but way better than stock, I am happy with this relatively cheap fix.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
This is the way I went after reading yours and other similar posts of past.
Bottom line, works just as you said, not as good as led housing types but way better than stock, I am happy with this relatively cheap fix.
Glad you are happy with the results. It's difficult to explain how much better the housings are than the ones from Jeep. A lot of people don't understand how the reflectors work and the photometrics that are involved. Not to mention the H4 lamps outperform the H13's by a wide margin too.

I hope Hilldwellers other post on a possible H4 LED lamp replacement is accurate... That would be my next move if they aren't unreasonably expensive.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Admins please sticky pressurized's headlight recommendations

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI: This is a comment directly off Amazon for the leds the OP is referencing:

I purchased a set of four of these for my 2011 GMC Sierra. They work pretty good and provide lots of light. BUT, they are not indexed properly (lined up in the housing like this: / instead of this -- ). I was able to modify the mounting to properly index them for my GMC, so they provide same cutoff and light pattern as halogen bulbs, they just provide more and "whiter" light.
Yeah i saw this one. however they have several good reviews too. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

thanks this is very helpful!!! I have several options to go from here.

·
OVRLNDR
1,802 Posts
These are very nice!!! i think they would look great on my black JKU.

Thanks for the tip. I may end up getting these. $300 is not bad at all. I have seen sets for $500+
No problem. It's good that you have so many forum members that give you different options you may not have known about before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts