Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these at a swap meet for $10. No idea what brand, I'm sure they are NOT jw speakers. Got them installed and realized the low beams only illuminate the 2 side LED's as shown in the picture. Hi beams light up all 4. Is this the expected behavior? I thought the lower one was supposed to light up on low beam? Anyone have a set that does the same thing and can tell me what these are?

If they are crap then I'll sell them for $20 :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got them installed, I haven't​ driven with them at night yet. Was just wondering if this was the expected behavior and to see if anyone can ID them. Everything I'm finding for knockoff headlights is that 3 are supposed to be lit up, not just the 2 sides.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
While patterns vary, yes only some of the elements light on low beam and all elements light on high beam. Once the sun goes down and it is good and dark go out and see what kind of pattern you get. Make sure you don't have to go anywhere, so if they are junk, you don't have to drive on them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went for a quick drive around my neighborhood. I would describe the low beams as "adequate", not necessarily any better than stock, just a different color temperature. Hi beams are definitely better than stock though.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Probably not up to the 2017 MOPAR standards, but then you saved over $800. If they work for you, keep driving it. If they don't, start your search again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks to me that the bottom light should be on for Low Beams, atleast my Faux-Speakers do. Look at the wiring for the low beam and see if its loose somewhere. most likely the guy sold it for 10 bucks because of the issue.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
At night, park 25ft from a wall on level ground and look at how the lights project on the wall. There should be a relatively sharp cutoff @ about 3ft high from 25ft away (low beams). If that's how they project, you are good to go and you can easily adjust the height if needed. If there's no sharp cutoff, odds are you might be blinding cars either coming toward you or running in front of you, so be careful.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought the Tuff Plus knock off LED head light had the 2 side LEDs for low so those may be working correctly. If you google Tuff plus a0101 it should bring up a bunch of posts.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
The higher center light should be on for lowbeam.
The lower one or the lower and upper one for highbeam.
Thus it is written in the Book of Laws, FMVSS-108, code of codes, law of the land of US.

Check the connector.

Sorta looks like the MOPAR unit designed by JW Speaker. But might be Chinese crap too.
Any markings on the lens? Like SAE/DOT or an E or something?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are no markings on the lights whatsoever. The box they came in is blank except for "H4-head07-N-BE". Googling that (in quotes) brings up an ebay page with identical looking lights except with blue faces instead of black. The guy I bought them from did say something about the colors not matching exactly on one pair that he bought, so he removed the colored face... which means maybe he took these apart and goofed something up internally. I'm not exactly sure how to go about disassembling these. They kinda look like they are glued together. Also that ebay page shows the top center lit up for low beams.

Connector seems solid but I will check again. But it doesn't seem likely that both of the connectors are broken, and the fact that hi and low both do something, that should mean the connector itself is ok, and the problem is internal to the light.

The cutoff is fairly sharp, it's just that the low beams (just the 2 side lights right now) don't seem to project all that far. I adjusted them up slightly, and I think that helped but I will see if anyone flashes their lights at me.

I did notice some flickering. I had some low-ESR capacitors laying around so I made my own anti-flicker harness out of the H4 to H13 adapter. They are 35v 470uF caps. I started with 2 on green wire (low beam) and 2 on the white wire (hi beam), but the high beams were still flickering so I added 2 more on the white, and that solved it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Well, it's your Jeep....
...but you're running around with cheap knockoff Chinese-made lights that are defective.
That lowbeam can't come close to SAE compliance without the main projector --- and that's assuming the lights were anywhere near compliant to begin with.

I could see them being decent offroad lights. Just put them in a set of Grote buckets and only wire the highbeam circuit.

Get a decent set of real headlights. Be safe.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good point, Hilldweller. I guess the tinkerer in me just wanted to see if I could get them working correctly. I had planned to drive with them for a few days and see how I like them ...but they do seem awfully dim on low.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Romokid mentioned "Tuff Plus" which I think are not the same. They have 2 sets of side lights.

But "Tuff Stuff" look similar to what I've got. According to this, the side lights are supposed to be DRL only.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
But "Tuff Stuff" look similar to what I've got. According to this, the side lights are supposed to be DRL only.
Look at the third picture, low beam.
Top projector and two side projectors are lit. JW Speaker clone; same as the original 8700.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Romokid mentioned "Tuff Plus" which I think are not the same. They have 2 sets of side lights.

My bad. When I was looking back through some of the LED light threads I remembered Tuff Plus a0101 but when googling them I too saw the Tuff Stuff but brain farted when I posted as I was trying to relay that the Tuff Stuff looked like the ones you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I have the Tuff Plus A0101 LED lights and they are actually amazing.

On Low Beam, the 2 round projector lights are lit.

On High Beam the 2 side lights are only lit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Amazon special lights look similar to yours as well. Although on Low the sides and top lights are on like the old JW's. And on High all of them are on. Maybe you can take them apart and see if the wiring is messed up causing that top light to only come on as High Beam, instead of High and Low. I'd put the old ones back in until you figure it out though.

Lights.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which ones from Amazon did you buy and how is the quality? I don't need $700+ JW's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts