Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm looking for experiences/recommendations/warnings regarding aftermarket LED headlights. Any model that fits JK will do, here in Europe they would need to be E -approved, but whether or not yours are, drop a line or two here to let us know how they are.

As we know, the standard halogens ain't the best, and while I do have a LED bar to boost the long range lights, I'd really love to get shorts that pack more punch.

Edit: E9->E

·
Premium Member
16,768 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for experiences/recommendations/warnings regarding aftermarket LED headlights. Any model that fits JK will do, here in Europe they would need to be E9 -approved, but whether or not yours are, drop a line or two here to let us know how they are.

As we know, the standard halogens ain't the best, and while I do have a LED bar to boost the long range lights, I'd really love to get shorts that pack more punch.
I run the Pro Comp 76402P in all of my Jeeps. I am in the lighting industry and have to ability to do "some" testing. I have worked with multiple manufacturers and always come back to the Pro Comps. They have an outstanding cutoff and very high output. The low beams punch deep in a very white light. The high beams are a little less focused than I would want them, but they produce a massive amount of light, rivaling many light bars.

Here are a couple of photos from my street. First is the low beam, notice the sharp cutoff on the hedge to the left and the signs at the end of the street are 1/2 mile away. No street lights on my street.

Automotive lighting Road surface Sky Asphalt Cloud

Now the high beams... Notice the hedge on the left, the trees on both sides, the power poles and even the signs are all lit up.

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Thoroughfare Headlamp

·
Premium Member
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - Manual
189 Posts
Although I've only had them a couple of months, I'm very happy with the Oracle set I installed. Sorry...no pictures to share as above.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I have the Quadratec GenII LEDs in my '03 TJ. Since they are aimed at the Can/US market, I doubt they have gone through the EU certification process, and I'm fairly sure they don't have any set up for driving on the left side of the road. My '17 Chief came with the factory LEDs. I would rate the two neck to neck on low beam but the QT lights are better on high beam.

Reactions: White Elemant

·
Registered
2017 Rhino JKU
136 Posts
I would also recommend the pro comp headlights. Great light for the money and great warranty.

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you are in Europe, go with TruckLite. These are ECE approved, work great and not as expensive as JW speaker. Exist for both RH and LH traffic. These run around 250-300 a piece
Avoid chinese knockoffs. They sell for around 70-100 /pair on fleabay or alienexpress, are even marked with E or CE mark, but the light patternn
is everything but good. I think that CE mark stands more for "ChinaExport" than for certificate :D

·
Premium Member
10,459 Posts
Considering where you live you really should think about heated headlights. The JW Speaker 8700 J2 is available with heat and is ECE compliant.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering where you live you really should think about heated headlights. The JW Speaker 8700 J2 is available with heat and is ECE compliant.
Sorry for late reply, thanks for the heads up!

Anybody got specific cold climate experiences with LED's? We do get proper winter here, well below 0 farenheit at times.

And another qestion, how about these: UNI-SHINE, J003DE-B-pair
Anybode tried these? Cheapo chinesium for sure, but gotta ask...

·
Premium Member
10,459 Posts
I can't comment on the headlights you referenced. But I can tell you in a cold climate with snow it only takes minutes before your headlights are useless.

·
Registered
2017 Rhino JKU
136 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Quadratrec makes some with heating elements.
Those are good lights. There are actually two versions for those interested, and I'm not referring to heated/non heated. The ones for the JK are easier to mount since the JK already has the stock bucket for 7" headlights. The JL version comes with the buckets and the double adapter harness (JL to H13 and then H13 to H4) and is $700 a pair vs $600 a pair for the JK.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Anybody got specific cold climate experiences with LED's? We do get proper winter here, well below 0 farenheit at times.
I'm in Manitoba and we can hit -40 at times.

I have the OEM led lights (no heat) and I do have icing problems with them with wet snow falls. No issues when it's really cold and the snow is dry though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts