Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my light bar installed with the typical windshield brackets. I had a couple issues that I hope maybe some of the people who have done it before can answer.

1: How does everyone hide the wires so well? I've seen a few pics where the wire isn't even visible. Here is the way I routed mine and it's pretty ugly I think. I'd like to get the wire routed a little cleaner.

2: I accidentally popped two threads out of the sheet metal where the hinge covers bolt. I was trying to torque them down enough to squeeze the wire. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know the type of nursert I would need to fix it?

3: has anyone bolted a set of these mounts with the hinge covers removed?

4: my light bar keeps rotating down. The way it's installed is just with a single bolt on each side. My bracket seems to have two sets of holes, one is a cradle and the other is a hole. I have it bolted through the hole, but the whole bar eventually rotates downward after a little while no matter how tight I torque the bolts. Here's a pic. Am I missing something?

Here's a pic of the whole thing installed. I still have to wire up my switches. The exposed wire running outside of the windshield drives me crazy...

·
Registered
144 Posts
In a hurry, LOL?

I run my wires under the mount and around the bottom, not the cleanest install but slightly better than your photo.

I am gonna say your washer is your issue, no grip and allows the bar to rotate, might need a different bolt head to have more holding surface.

I stripped mine out and had to drill and tap mine out went with an M8X1.50 pan head bolt

I haven't had any issues with my bar since then. I also use Blue Loctite, another tip if your mounts are like mine and had a washer on the inside of the mount, I popped it off too as it was allowing the light bar to twist. Two smooth surfaces have little holding power and your light bar end should have grooves in it and will get lots of grip.

If you just messed up two threads in a hole and the rest are holding you might be okay, If it is worse I don't know that you need a nutsert, most likely you could drill and tap it to the next larger size.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have mine mounted in the cradle hole and it does move at all. I could probably walk on it and it wouldn't move. Wiring I'm still trying to figure out

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To keep it from rotating, you could always put a couple nuts and bolt in that slot with the bolt head on the outside, then set the bolt depth to press in on the LED bar housing. Kind of like a set screw, ya dig?

I ran my wires similarly to how bruuuuce did it, but i didn't go all the way under the bracket, just next to it then under the lower light mounts.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for such a long time responding to this, it literally took this long to fix the problem.

Turns out, the relay I was using was bad. I wired it up with a new relay and bang. She lit right up.

Thanks guys for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts