Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my 2012 JKU build in all black I REALLY want to take the opportunity to pick up some LED headlights, tail lights, and front/side marker lights that are blacked out until they light (or at least are pretty well blacked out when not lit). I have seen a few different brands however I have also seen problems like flickering, etc.

Anyone have recommendations based on their experience with solid, well built replacements for all of these locations?

Eric

·
Registered
519 Posts
Elarson said:
Truck Lite? Recon? JW SPeaker? IPCW? Thoughts? Recommendations?
I have the first generation of JW speaker, requires trimming to get fit, they are not supposed to frost over. They are hella bright, I think they are cool as hell looking, and I have the harness from rally lights, so no flickering. I have read a lot of negative things about recon, flickers fast, buy the resistors and it might work, and they eventually stop working. I would really like to have some reason to buy them but it is hard. I would like to get JK Speaker 6045 for the fogs, but the price has me a little iffy. I know it must be hard to believe after the money dropped on the headlights, but the head lights had to go, the fogs would only be for show, and there is a lot I would rather buy for 600 bone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Truck Lite? Recon? JW SPeaker? IPCW? Thoughts? Recommendations?
I have the IPCW tails in Bermuda black. Make sure you buy them from an authorized dealer (Amazon,etc) in case you have any fogging or leaking issues. They look sick on my black JKUR in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Rallylights now sells their own projector HID lights. I built my own but that would be the best bet for quality light output.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Info on the rally harnesses for the speakers????
What kinda info are you looking for. You send them ~128 bucks, they send you a harness you could figure out with no directions, plug one end into your driver side headlight plug, connect to the battery, run the short one to the drivers head lamp and the long one to the passenger. I bought both on Hilldweller's write ups, I did my own volt checks on the OEM wiring and watched the oscillations. I never checked the one from Rally, because I trusted them.

I am considering doing Dually Flush mounts in the rear, but not sure if I want to cut into the factory housing for replacement lights, or bumper for added lights.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
smaxberry said:
What kinda info are you looking for. You send them ~128 bucks, they send you a harness you could figure out with no directions, plug one end into your driver side headlight plug, connect to the battery, run the short one to the drivers head lamp and the long one to the passenger. I bought both on Hilldweller's write ups, I did my own volt checks on the OEM wiring and watched the oscillations. I never checked the one from Rally, because I trusted them.

I am considering doing Dually Flush mounts in the rear, but not sure if I want to cut into the factory housing for replacement lights, or bumper for added lights.
Sorry. I should have been clear. Do you know the part number for the harness to go with the JW speaker 8700 evolution which I assume would be the same as the first generation?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Sorry. I should have been clear. Do you know the part number for the harness to go with the JW speaker 8700 evolution which I assume would be the same as the first generation?
Call them at rallylights.com and tell them what you want. Each harness is fairly custom; they can build it to your needs (tell them if you plan to add driving lights, for instance, and they put a dongle on it).

I wouldn't waste my money on the LED markers or tail lights.

And yes; the SMS 90mm projector is the "best" headlight that fits the JK right now.
They have an LED version too ---- it's not totally legal but I'm sure it's very nice to behold. It's ECE compliant rather than DOT. Some states do care about that. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the IPCW tails in Bermuda black. Make sure you buy them from an authorized dealer (Amazon,etc) in case you have any fogging or leaking issues. They look sick on my black JKUR in my opinion.
Just curious about the brightness of the Bermuda Black tail lights. Does the black diminish the red at all? I like those lights myself, but have been reluctant because of color.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Call them at rallylights.com and tell them what you want. Each harness is fairly custom; they can build it to your needs (tell them if you plan to add driving lights, for instance, and they put a dongle on it).

And yes; the SMS 90mm projector is the "best" headlight that fits the JK right now.
They have an LED version too ---- it's not totally legal but I'm sure it's very nice to behold. It's ECE compliant rather than DOT. Some states do care about that. Caveat emptor.
Hill; Will the H4-H13 Adaptor suffice for the JW Speaker 8700's? I've ordered the lights, and the shop is providing me the H4 - H13 Adaptor(harness) for $15. Am I missing something? You seem to be the go to guy on electrical issues.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Hill; Will the H4-H13 Adaptor suffice for the JW Speaker 8700's?
No

Am I missing something?
Yes.

The power to your oe circuit is pulsewidth modulated, a logic circuit, with a rapid but persistent duty cycle that drops to a low enough voltage to cause LEDs to flicker; you won't notice a halogen light flickering because it's a burning filament.

You either need a full harness from either Dan Stern or rallylights.com (or make it yourself) that contains capacitors and resistors or the new Trucklite "dongle" adapters that have the caps and resistors built in.

See the lighting sticky for a fuller explanation.

·
Registered
496 Posts
No

Yes.

The power to your oe circuit is pulsewidth modulated, a logic circuit, with a rapid but persistent duty cycle that drops to a low enough voltage to cause LEDs to flicker; you won't notice a halogen light flickering because it's a burning filament.

You either need a full harness from either Dan Stern or rallylights.com (or make it yourself) that contains capacitors and resistors or the new Trucklite "dongle" adapters that have the caps and resistors built in.

See the lighting sticky for a fuller explanation.
So, if the shop tells me they have my lights in AND the necessary harness, what are the odds that they are talking about a "full" harness from Dan Stern, rallylights, or the like? I apologize for these dumb questions, but this is very new to me.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
So, if the shop tells me they have my lights in AND the necessary harness, what are the odds that they are talking about a "full" harness from Dan Stern, rallylights, or the like? I apologize for these dumb questions, but this is very new to me.
If they're selling you a "harness" for $15, it's not the right one. It's an adapter, H13 to H4. Not what you need.
You need a Corvette and they're giving you a Chevette and just saying, "here's your 'Vette".
They're not telling a lie; they're just not telling the truth...

A full harness has a male H13 terminal, stout wiring going to a pair of good relays with caps and resistors in-line, stout wiring to the battery, stouter wiring to a pair of H4 female terminals.
And any number of additional safe/functional dongles can be added to trip relays for driving lights or foglights.

A simple adapter only changes the terminal. It furthers the voltage drop that a JK has and does nothing to smooth-out the pulsewidth modulated power that is delivered.

Available soon, and maybe even now, Trucklite has developed a conversion adapter with caps and resistors wired in. They will look alot like the old simple adapters. But, where the simple ones look like a small snake with a head at each end, these will look like the same snake but with a little mouse in their bellies.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Yea but $900 for two headlights is getting out of hand. Where does it end.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Yea but $900 for two headlights is getting out of hand. Where does it end.
I worked for a guy that spent over a million for a car. A used car.
That wasn't worth it to me...

I think the Trucklites are a good value. Get a full harness for added function or their dongle if you don't need to trip a set of driving lights ----- that's me. That's what I'd do.

If you want the best light, drive highways often at full highway speed, maybe you'd want better light for that type of driving.
That's when you have to consider your priorities. Being able to see, and see well, is important, no?
I knew a guy that hit a cow one night on an island in the Lesser Antilles; didn't see it. A cow. Totalled the car he was driving, busted his wife up badly. A goat farmer picked them up and drove them to a vet who set her broken arm. She didn't get it fixed right for 3 days.

Just sayin.
Most of us put farkles on our Jeeps and do mods that you hardly need/use.
But headlights? Is there a more universally needed and used safety gizmo you can think of? (besides brakes...)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I really wish I had your knowledge on lighting. I over compensate by adding LED's that are totally over powered, not legal for on-road use. My Rigid lights would cause someone to wreck 50 yards before they even got to me.
I might go the truck-lite phase 7 route. It's affordable for my budget, and the IPF's are just not cuttin the mustard.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just curious about the brightness of the Bermuda Black tail lights. Does the black diminish the red at all? I like those lights myself, but have been reluctant because of color.
The black doesn't diminish the red one bit...you can get a sun tan off of those things at night.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Available soon, and maybe even now, Trucklite has developed a conversion adapter with caps and resistors wired in. They will look alot like the old simple adapters. But, where the simple ones look like a small snake with a head at each end, these will look like the same snake but with a little mouse in their bellies.
Bill, will you be testing the Trucklites w/ the new dongle? I would be interested in the comparison between that & the full harness you tested before.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts