Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that LEDs have been out for a while, what has been everybody's experience? Do the heated TruckLites really have any benefit? Is the cold problem overstated? The rear lights don't even have a heated option (or at least not one I've ever encountered).

Thanks everyone! Happy holidays and keep on Jeeping!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
They have benefit if you are driving in a snow flurry. Not sure how well they work but i know the non heated really suck.. Snow accumulates pretty quickly on non-heated. I found this out on a trip over to Reno last year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which ones do you have Capt JK?

And if this really is a problem in the snow, why are the TL LEDs the only ones with the heater option?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Which ones do you have Capt JK?

And if this really is a problem in the snow, why are the TL LEDs the only ones with the heater option?

I have Truck Lites non-heated.. They don't emit enough heat to keep snow from accumulating even in mild storm. If i were to purchase over again, i would opt for the heated.. I'm not sure if Truck Light is the only manufacture offing heating LED head lights.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
I have had trucklites for 4 years and I live in Montana and we get a fair amount of snow and I have had no issues. I do hit the lenses from time to time with plexus. I drive in he snow and dark pretty much all winter long. There have been times when really heavy wet snow sticks but those conditions the people that were running stock head lights had the same problem as I did.
This is looking out my front door

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have had trucklites for 4 years and I live in Montana and we get a fair amount of snow and I have had no issues. I do hit the lenses from time to time with plexus. I drive in he snow and dark pretty much all winter long. There have been times when really heavy wet snow sticks but those conditions the people that were running stock head lights had the same problem as I did.
This is looking out my front door
My experience living in Canada would be the same as yours.

There seems to be enough 'heat' to keep the snow off the 'low beam' portion of the headlights, but there is clearly snow/ice on the lower half where the high beam lights are (and not used when traveling on the highway).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've run various LEDs on my Harley and never had an issue with them not being heated (and yes, I've ridden in the snow). I've got the Mopar ones, and I'll report back once we get some decent snow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
No problems in Idaho with my non-heated LED JWSpeakers. And we do have a little experience with snow here (it is pissing down snow here now).

You get a slight buildup on them in a driving snow storm, but it does not make an appreciable difference to the light pattern, just a slight diffusion of the light.

The buildup is no different than the HIDs on my wife Mini or Cayenne. Certainly no different than the LEDs on my new F150.

On my F350 and my previous FJ Cruiser (both with halogens) the snow buildup would slightly melt due to the heat and turn to ice on the lens of the headlight while driving. That did make a noticeable change to the visibility as the ice seemed to scatter the light instead of slightly diffusing it as with snow. Stopping and cleaning the frozen ice off was not easy as you almost had to chip away at it.

So I have found the LEDs to be a improvement in winter driving.

I wonder how many vehicles that come with LED headlight from the factory have heated lens?

If this was a big safety problem you would think they all would have heated LED lights as no manufacturer wants to open themselves up to a safety related lawsuit. But this does not seem to be the case.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
i have a set of non heated led lights and they have only collected snow once. i think the snow buildup issue is a bit overstated (knock's on wood). lol

i wouldnt sweat it. if its snowing really heavy out, just stop after a while and check/clean them. for the added light output, it really is worth that small drawback in winter!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The gist I'm getting is that heat helps but isn't necessary.

And it's probably true that more manufacturers would heat their lamps if it truly was a safety concern.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
No problems in MN with the JW leds. Oh wait we got rained on on christmas day so nevermind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
On Quadratec, Rick, where he lives, sees a ton of snow and all of where he has been. He does not have heated lights and told me that he has really never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I was driving across flyover country to visit the folks over Christmas. There was quite a bit of fog and it was below freezing. After a while my Truck Lites were completely caked over. Heaters definitely would have helped.

Given the option, I would get the heaters without any hesitation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't know how much I can add of use to this thread, as we haven't really had much heavy snow since I upgraded my lights to non-heated LED truck-lites? But I can say that the few times we had some snow or sleet, I didn't really have any problems with them.

Like a couple other people suggested, I suspect you could just coat the lights with some Rain-X and prevent a lot of it from sticking to them -- even if they're not going to melt it off with heat.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
A few quick points:

The heated lens is similar to a rear window defrost. It's a wire inside the glass.

On the Truck-Lites, it also only activated the portion you are using. The top half is for low beam, the bottom half and top half both light up for high beam. If you're only using low beam, then only the top half is kept warm.

I read in another thread that Rigid/Quadratec has a patent on heated lenses, which is why you only see those two brands making them. Don't know if it's true, but it helps explain why only two brands (which is really the same one) are using heated lenses.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
A few quick points:

The heated lens is similar to a rear window defrost. It's a wire inside the glass.

On the Truck-Lites, it also only activated the portion you are using. The top half is for low beam, the bottom half and top half both light up for high beam. If you're only using low beam, then only the top half is kept warm.

I read in another thread that Rigid/Quadratec has a patent on heated lenses, which is why you only see those two brands making them. Don't know if it's true, but it helps explain why only two brands (which is really the same one) are using heated lenses.
The patent is the legal issue, but the nature of the jeeps recessed headlight design is the real culprit. If it was designed more aerodynamically to shed the snow then the non heated, wouldn't be nearly the issue. I'm not for ruining the classic iconic look of the wrangler so possibly the only way around it would be for a cleaning option such as a heated washer unit or wiper. Again, not very easy to implement with the recessed headlights. I beat this one to death with research, no free lunch. Now that FCA is offering the LEDs in 2017 we will see the ramifications and how the corporation deals with it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you are driving in a metro or highway where you are getting splash from other cars as well as what snow is coming down the non heated are a problem. Snow out in the country not that big a deal. Hard to stop in heavy traffic to clean lights in some rural areas you might enjoy stopping and watching a view for a minute or two. The rear lights do not normally get the splash/ slush from other cars I think is why only the front is heated.

I think the heated ones would be best if you live in a snow area particularly a snowy metro area.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
In Missouri I wouldnt worry about it.

In Alaska I would.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts