Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have converted almost all my lights to LEDs. I know about the flasher relay and have one ready but here are my problems:

Front turn signals and marker lights are way dim or not on at all.

Can't seem to figure out how to easily access the passenger side behind the tail lights to bolt the new ones in.

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I have converted almost all my lights to LEDs. I know about the flasher relay and have one ready but here are my problems:

Front turn signals and marker lights are way dim or not on at all.

Can't seem to figure out how to easily access the passenger side behind the tail lights to bolt the new ones in.

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.
Your stock front side marker/turn signal on the fender flare does not use a fixed ground, but uses a floating ground that grounds through the opposite filament on the front fender light. If you are trying to wire a two wire LED to the side marker/turn signal you will need to do a resistor/diode mod like shown below. Here's the parts you need:

Radio Shack Numbers (quantity enough for two harnesses)

4 Rectifier Diodes #IN4004
2 560 Ohm ½ watt Resistors #271-1116
3 Colors 18 gauge wire
Solder
Heat shrink

I suggest housing it in a small piece of plastic tubing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your stock front side marker/turn signal on the fender flare does not use a fixed ground, but uses a floating ground that grounds through the opposite filament on the front fender light. If you are trying to wire a two wire LED to the side marker/turn signal you will need to do a resistor/diode mod like shown below. Here's the parts you need:

Radio Shack Numbers (quantity enough for two harnesses)

4 Rectifier Diodes #IN4004
2 560 Ohm ½ watt Resistors #271-1116
3 Colors 18 gauge wire
Solder
Heat shrink

I suggest housing it in a small piece of plastic tubing.
Someone said if I just tap in and ground one of the wires everything should work just fine including the flasher relay

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Someone said if I just tap in and ground one of the wires everything should work just fine including the flasher relay
Both wires to the side marker light are used as supply and ground wires. (if you ground either one of those, you will create a direct short and blow fuses) If you are using an Led in that location that has three wires (two LED's), it will work if you ground the - side of the LED and wire the two led supply + wires to the turn signal and marker light wires in the Jeep. If you are using a two wire LED in that location there are three ways you can go...the mod I gave you in post #2 will allow the single LED to function both as a marker light and turn signal as it does now, or you can hook the + side of the LED to the marker light suppy and ground the - side of the LED (and just tape off the turn signal wire) in which case you will have marker lights and no turn signals on the flare, or you can do the opposite and just hook up the turn signal (the same way) in which case you will have no marker light on the flare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, most of my friends are about as sharp as a marble. I don't think they grasp the concept of floating ground. And these are just two wire led bulbs from super bright. I'll have to do that mod. What could I get to evade it in? Plastic tubing or what?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I agree, most of my friends are about as sharp as a marble. I don't think they grasp the concept of floating ground. And these are just two wire led bulbs from super bright. I'll have to do that mod. What could I get to evade it in? Plastic tubing or what?
Just solder the parts together, and put a little heat shrink on them to cover exposed wires, and go to Ace Hardware or wherever and get 6" of 1/2" plastic/vinyl tubing (to cut in half) to put them in and tape up the ends...just like the picture...very easy mod. You should be able to do the whole thing for <$10.

·
Registered
490 Posts
So the side marker has two factory wires and the signals have three. Is this because they have to flash and daytime running and the side markers only flash? Just wondering because maybe I assumed the markers do both as well

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The stock side marker/turn signal has two wires, and the fender parking/turn signal has three wires.

The side marker light in the flare has a single filament lamp. When the headlights are on, the lamp gets power from the parking light circuit and grounds through the opposite wire (the turn signal +) which feeds through the turn signal filament in the front fender lamp and grounds through its base.

When the turn signal is turned on for that side and the flasher closes (sends power to the turn signal), the side marker light is receiving +12v on both sides of the lamp, but has no ground, so it shuts off. When the flasher opens (no power to the front fender signal) the side marker light has a ground again, so it comes back on.

This is why, when the headlights are on, the side marker turn signal and front fender turn signal alternate.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey water dog, thanks for making it easy. Got everything together today no problem and it looks great. I didn't get the relay yet. Ep26 right? Does that cover future rear led as well? I have hyper flash, and nothing works without at least the dt runners on. Not worried about it, the relay will solve it.

I was also wondering if I wanted to, could I tie in a couple more low draw LEDs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 jk and I'm looking at the smoked fender lights and blinkers. Is it better to get the LED or the regular bulb lights?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts