Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I just installed a new rear bumper with LED slots. When I popped the tail light i noticed that there were three wires that went into the reverse bulb (one white and two blacks) one of the blacks goes into the actual taillight bulb. I am amusing that I would just splice into the the white and black wires that go into the connector but I dont know what that third wire would be for. Once i get home I will add pictures.

Thanks,
Colin

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Do you know where the other wire goes? I can't remember what it was when I did mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello,

So I just installed a new rear bumper with LED slots. When I popped the tail light i noticed that there were three wires that went into the reverse bulb (one white and two blacks) one of the blacks goes into the actual taillight bulb. I am amusing that I would just splice into the the white and black wires that go into the connector but I dont know what that third wire would be for. Once i get home I will add pictures.

Thanks,
Colin
I have a 2014 JKU. The white wire with a grey stripe was the power for the backup lights on mine. The black wire is the ground. I also wired by BU lights to a switch so they can be turned on/off independently. If you are interested, I can post the wiring diagram for the switch / relay set-up.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I noticed there is a third wire going to the reverse light as well. No clue WTF it is for.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
I have a 2014 JKU. The white wire with a grey stripe was the power for the backup lights on mine. The black wire is the ground. I also wired by BU lights to a switch so they can be turned on/off independently. If you are interested, I can post the wiring diagram for the switch / relay set-up.
Please post it. I was going to do the same on mine. Where did you mount the relay?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please post it. I was going to do the same on mine. Where did you mount the relay?
I used a Bussmann box with the bussed inputs.

Sealed Mini Fuse & ISO 280 Mini Relay Panel with Bussed Inputs

This provides the capability to have 5 switches and relays. I mounted the box next to the brake lines (drivers side, front).

The attached diagram is for the Carling type switch which has both dependent and independent lights on the switch itself.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Here is where I mounted the Bussman box. I still need to do some wire management to clean this up a little but the box fits very nicely in this spot.
Thats where my Spod is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thats where my Spod is.
You could always zip tie a new relay to the wire harness at the top of the firewall. I did this when I first installed my windshield LED's and it worked out just fine. I thought about an SPOD but soon realized it was not going to do everything I wanted, which is why I went with the Bussman. It certainly doesn't have the options that an SPOD has (the flashing, dimming, and strobe features) but it is much more versatile. I was able to use a single relay/fuse box for the windshield lights, backup lights, and a cabin light with two switches (one in the back and one up front on the switch panel). I still have two relays available for future additions. I still like the SPOD's but it just wasn't going to work for what I was doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts