Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have people done for the third brake light (above the spare tire) when it comes to LEDs?

I plan to buy the Spyder Black/Smoke LED Tail Lights so I am leaning towards something like the Recon 264127BK that has a similar smoke look.

Any other suggestions? Anything I am missing?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I took the stock light off and cut the aluminum bracket that holds it down to about 4 inches high then trimmed the plastic off so the light could be bolted inside he spare to the aluminum support. Its been like this for 3 years works well.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I have the Rock Hard setup too, it's a nice look, but I have a few issues - none bad enough I wouldn't but it again though.

First, there is a screw that clamps down the plate on the square tubing. It does work, and it does keep it from rattling, until the screw backs out. I put a dab of blue locktite on the threads and perfect - and I can still break it loose if I need to (already been tested once).

Second, the inner post needed a little duck tape for padding so it fit better - however - I don't think it could have been made any better than it was, the only option a manufacturer may have been able to do would be to maybe plasti dip it or something. Even then, it would be detailed work, not something I'd expect from a mass produced product.

Third, I have had rust show up after a year, so if I did this again, I'd spray it down with a good coat of clear before using it, especially inside the square tubes. If I went top dollar I'd have it blasted and zinc dipped before a new coat of powdercoat was done.

I do like the overall fitment and the light is nice. Here's a link to a photo of one that is lit up at night.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/ORO-LitePLATE/LitePLATE-00.jpg

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/ORO-LitePLATE/DSC01030.jpg

Off Road Only LitePLATE LED License Plate Light & 3rd Brake Light

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
What have people done for the third brake light (above the spare tire) when it comes to LEDs?

I plan to buy the Spyder Black/Smoke LED Tail Lights so I am leaning towards something like the Recon 264127BK that has a similar smoke look.

Any other suggestions? Anything I am missing?
I really like the Barricade Adjustable Brake Light Bracket w/LED Light. It's a really clean set up and will work for up to a 40" tire. I know there are some less expensive options, but if you have the budget and like the cleanliness of this set-up I'd be happy to get you a quote on it!

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I really like the Barricade Adjustable Brake Light Bracket w/LED Light. It's a really clean set up and will work for up to a 40" tire. I know there are some less expensive options, but if you have the budget and like the cleanliness of this set-up I'd be happy to get you a quote on it!

-Ryan
WHOA! Holy expensiveness for a 3rd brakelight Batman!! LOL, One reason I decided on the Delta Lugnut Lites, other than cost, was that with a 35" tire ont eh back, the visibility is already atrocious, I didnt want to add another couple inches above the tire to make it worse. I have decided that I want/need a rear view camera so that I can actually see behind me and make sure I dont run over anything important.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
WHOA! Holy expensiveness for a 3rd brakelight Batman!! LOL, One reason I decided on the Delta Lugnut Lites, other than cost, was that with a 35" tire ont eh back, the visibility is already atrocious, I didnt want to add another couple inches above the tire to make it worse. I have decided that I want/need a rear view camera so that I can actually see behind me and make sure I dont run over anything important.
Well I have a pricey but very clean and well put-together option for a reverse camera too! The Raxiom Auto-Dimming 4.3 in. Rearview Mirror w/ Backup Camera includes everything you need to install a back up camera without tapping into the factory nav or adding an external screen. Let me know if you have questions or would like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went with the recon 3rd brake light. I have the recon tail lights so it all matches..

looks bad a$$ too IMo

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've thought about the Delta lug nut lights. For those that have them, have you ever had any issues when getting your tires rotated...like them not putting them back right or messing them up?

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I've thought about the Delta lug nut lights. For those that have them, have you ever had any issues when getting your tires rotated...like them not putting them back right or messing them up?
Personally, I havent done a 5 tire rotation, but if you do or just need to put the spare on, there are quick disconnects so its not really a big deal. I zip tie the wires to the spare tire mount to keep the lights tight in the lug holes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Installed the Rock Hard 4x4 light on the center cap for the spare. Quick disconnect allow me to easily remove during tire rotation. Simple solution for less than $15.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts