Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my bumper with a Smittybilt bumper. Now I have no fog lights, the fog connectors are tucked away in the bumper. I want to install 2 new LED lights that still can be controlled by my factory control on the steering column.
I don't know the watt rating was on the factory lights but want to get the brightest LED lights without exceeding my factory watt rating.
Does anyone know what lights would be a good buy?
I don't need to have flood lights since there is never fog where I live, just another light that will light up then I am on a trail.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You could pit in JW speaker fog lights or Rigid spot or flood lights with an adapter. Either would work with factory wire without over heating anything. You'll need to splice though.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I replaced my bumper with a Smittybilt bumper. Now I have no fog lights, the fog connectors are tucked away in the bumper. I want to install 2 new LED lights that still can be controlled by my factory control on the steering column.
I don't know the watt rating was on the factory lights but want to get the brightest LED lights without exceeding my factory watt rating.
Does anyone know what lights would be a good buy?
I don't need to have flood lights since there is never fog where I live, just another light that will light up then I am on a trail.
Another consideration is to use the factory harness as a trigger for a relay. If you use larger gauge wire from the battery to feed the relay/lights you can really run anything you want as the only draw on the factory harness would be the little bit it takes to hold the relay closed. Let me know if you have questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I bought the PIAA kit that puts their compact round lights into a bracket that mounts up just like the factory lights. If your bumper lets you bolt up the factory fog lights, this would be an easy option.

The only trouble with the kit is that it uses driving lights instead of flood lights. But I did a little swapping since I decided to run the matching PIAA driving lights on the bar on my bumper.

Here's what I did: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/led-light-upgrade-complete-255447.html

And for what it's worth, it's basically impossible to overload your factory circuit with a single round LED light. A big light bar may overload it but if you're just doing individual lights there's no reason you need to trigger a relay off the factory fog light circuit. The factory incandescent bulbs pull a couple of amps at 13.8 volts while the brightest LEDs in single round lights draw under a single amp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I notice that LED lights are rated in watts, how many watts can I go up to and still stay in a safe range on the existing fog wiring on my 2014 Wrangler?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The issue is not the power draw, it is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) that Jeep puts out. Without a filter, your leds will blink.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased the AEV PROCAL changed my DRL's from headlights to signals instead of PWM filter for the LED pulse getting ready to install KC highlight replacement headlights soon.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts