Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on the task of installing LED turn signals on my 01 Wrangler. After reading a few posts, and doing some research of my own, I began compiling a version of my own instructions, and wanted to share. I have no electrical experience, not many tools, and still ended up successful.

Below are my version of the instructions.
I learned that cutting the wiring harness on the jeep after the turn signal plug is not possible. Direction of Diode is very important. Resistor can go either direction.

I began with 2-wire LED lights purchased from amazon. They came with pigtails.

I stripped the pigtails using a sharp knife to score the casing, and then stripped using a wire stripper.

Also from amazon I purchased some extra wire in various colors, shrink wrap, resistors, & Diodes (part numbers mentioned in other write ups, thanks!)

Soldering is actually not too difficult. Just keep the tip of the soldering iron tinned, make sure the wires to be heated are hot enough and the flux will take over. I spliced the power wire of the LED so that I now have 3 wires from the LED light.

Attached a diode to each newly added wire.

Attached a resistor to the "stripped" wire.

Shrink wrapped everything and we were in business.

I then cut into the wiring harness of the jeep, and from what I've read and what I see the turn signals up front will all have 3 wires. One solid black, another solid color, and a striped color.

Then was time to cut into the jeep grill. I measured each side to be symmetrical... and that's about all I worried about. I'd like to think it turned out pretty good.

After cutting the holes, I filed them down a bit & painted to prevent rust.
Then I installed the grommets with rtv sealant.

Soldered & shrink wrapped the LED connections to the jeep's harness, & Complete! Not too bad. I plan to put the side LED's in the hood tomorrow. Below is a link of them installed with the flashers on. Turn signals flash fast, but that will require the new LED relay flasher. Can take more pics of that if anyone's interested.

WP_20140515_20_31_33_Pro.mp4 Video by Turiwks | Photobucket

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty nice. I am sure people will appreciate that. But what are you gonna do with the gaps in your fenders now?
For the time now, I will leave the factory lamps in (unconnected) as dummies until I can either:

A. Put flat fenders on the jeep.
B. Cut, and replace with a piece of metal to make the fenders smooth.

I'm leaning towards tube fenders some day, hence the turn signal relocation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Installed the relay flasher. (EP 26) Located in the steering column of the 01 TJ.

This eliminated the fast flash.

I also began installing side LED marker/turn signals in the hood.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx334/Turiwks/WP_20140516_19_09_44_Pro.jpg

These are 3/4'' LED lights that are wired in parallel, and then set up the exact same way (with resistor & Diodes) as the front lights. They now operate as running lights & turn signals.

One note about these lights, is that the ground wire must be grounded to a factory ground screw (or other ground screw). Otherwise they don't like to work.

Wiring is run to the center channel of the hood, out to the sides, and then around to the front for a clean look.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Kool thanks!! I have looked at doing this several times but keep looking at the grill thinking it's going to suck drilling it lol

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks, this write up is going to help me a lot. I'm in the process of installing the same led lights I got from superbrightled.com. The question I have is where did you connect the third wire too(green) in order to get the turn signal and driving lights? I was just going to hook up a second set for my driving lights but if I can get them all to do both it will be even better. Thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks 4x4, just saw the replies.

Question to the OP, if you changed the relay doesn't should that allow you to not use the resistors??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I considered that... then went and bought myself some MetalCloak 6'' Arched... I think I'll like that more anyway. I'll be slowly upgrading for years to come.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks 4x4, just saw the replies.

Question to the OP, if you changed the relay doesn't should that allow you to not use the resistors??
Short answer, no. The resistors are necessary to allow flash/running. The flasher relay is simply meant to fix a computer error. With the original flasher relay the jeep will think the turn signals are out (leds put out next to no current) and they will flash fast. The new flasher relay solves that issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old post but do you have a link to the original post that has the part number on it for the resistor and diodes?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took on the task of installing LED turn signals on my 01 Wrangler. After reading a few posts, and doing some research of my own, I began compiling a version of my own instructions, and wanted to share. I have no electrical experience, not many tools, and still ended up successful.

Below are my version of the instructions.
I learned that cutting the wiring harness on the jeep after the turn signal plug is not possible. Direction of Diode is very important. Resistor can go either direction.

I began with 2-wire LED lights purchased from amazon. They came with pigtails.

I stripped the pigtails using a sharp knife to score the casing, and then stripped using a wire stripper.

Also from amazon I purchased some extra wire in various colors, shrink wrap, resistors, & Diodes (part numbers mentioned in other write ups, thanks!)

Soldering is actually not too difficult. Just keep the tip of the soldering iron tinned, make sure the wires to be heated are hot enough and the flux will take over. I spliced the power wire of the LED so that I now have 3 wires from the LED light.

Attached a diode to each newly added wire.

Attached a resistor to the "stripped" wire.

Shrink wrapped everything and we were in business.

I then cut into the wiring harness of the jeep, and from what I've read and what I see the turn signals up front will all have 3 wires. One solid black, another solid color, and a striped color.

Then was time to cut into the jeep grill. I measured each side to be symmetrical... and that's about all I worried about. I'd like to think it turned out pretty good.

After cutting the holes, I filed them down a bit & painted to prevent rust.
Then I installed the grommets with rtv sealant.

Soldered & shrink wrapped the LED connections to the jeep's harness, & Complete! Not too bad. I plan to put the side LED's in the hood tomorrow. Below is a link of them installed with the flashers on. Turn signals flash fast, but that will require the new LED relay flasher. Can take more pics of that if anyone's interested.

WP_20140515_20_31_33_Pro.mp4 Video by Turiwks | Photobucket
Thanks for all the info. I tried to Wranglerfy my wife's Liberty by putting a cheapo Jeep Wrangler bumper from Amazon after she had an accident that ripped the front bumper off. I had to modify it by adding a three wire LED turn signal. Added cheap eBay resistor but now the turn signal hyper flashes again when I turn headlights on. Could it be the low wattage of resistor bought from eBay or something else?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts