Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some mixed chainsaw gas (oil and gas) left over as I always do at the end of the season.... maybe about 1/3 gallon. I usually throw it out because I don't like to run old gas through the chainsaw in the following Summer season, but it's a pain because it's a "hazardous waste". I suppose I could use a gas stabilizer, but it's only a 1/3 gallon.

I was wondering if it would do the jeep any harm if I just threw it in the tank. It might smoke a bit more than usual for the rest of the tank... but that should be the extent of it?

Anybody else done this before

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do you have a lawnmower or other gas device you can run it in instead? While it "probably" won't be a problem in your Jeep, today's electronically controlled vehicles are quite sensitive and you might mess something up. Particularly your O2 sensors or cats. You're better off keeping it till next year with Sta-bil in it than running it in your Jeep.

·
Registered
332 Posts
just from a technical point of view - oil mix rate for a 2stroke chainsaw is about 1 to 40 So the oil content in your 1/3 gallon of gas is about 1oz.
You have a 20gallon fuel tank. 1 US gallon is 128ounces. So go figure and do the math. 2560 to 1 oz. The oil amount will be so small, that it wont affect absolutely anything. Blowby gases in a vapor form thru PCV system can produce more oil than your 1oz. And that gets burned in the combustion chamber also

So if the gas is otherwise clean with no dirt or debris in it, it is perfectly safe to run it down the heep. On the other hand using it as a firestarter has better visual effect :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Burning the leftover wood forms (from my shooting range) over the weekend, Used old gas to "get er done"
Bonfire Fire Tree Sky Flame

·
Registered
499 Posts
So you are trying to save maybe $2 worth of gas by putting it in your $20K Jeep.

Risk to reward ratio says heck no. Also, chainsaw 2 stoke oil should have fuel stabilizer in it. Just top off your gas can next year with fresh gas and use it in the chainsaw. Why put something in the jeep that is specifically not what you are supposed to put in. And if you think its a good idea and we are being worry warts, then just go do it and don't ask.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
637 Posts
just from a technical point of view - oil mix rate for a 2stroke chainsaw is about 1 to 40 So the oil content in your 1/3 gallon of gas is about 1oz.
You have a 20gallon fuel tank. 1 US gallon is 128ounces. So go figure and do the math. 2560 to 1 oz. The oil amount will be so small, that it wont affect absolutely anything. Blowby gases in a vapor form thru PCV system can produce more oil than your 1oz. And that gets burned in the combustion chamber also

So if the gas is otherwise clean with no dirt or debris in it, it is perfectly safe to run it down the heep. On the other hand using it as a firestarter has better visual effect :)
Ok, going to take flack for this but i see no problem doing that. It is nothing more than oil. I have ran Marvel Mystery oil (mmo) for the last 30 years. Nothing more than kerosene and other oils. Heck, i even had one of the early Chevy Vortec 350 enginges for 20 years and almost 200k miles. Not one fuel injector problem. And those Vortec engines had problems! Would i say use it all the time, no. But to a full tank of gas....no biggie. Want to know lots about this stuff, visit bobistheoilguy.com

Reactions: bill61

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you are trying to save maybe $2 worth of gas by putting it in your $20K Jeep.
It's not the money. It's the "hazardous waste" aspect. You either figure a way to burn it or you jump a thousand different hoops trying to dispose of a "hazardous waste".

This is a lakefront cabin out in the middle of a Provincial Park with strict hazardous waste regulations, and I really don't feel like hauling it back to the city this year. It's a pain in the azz. If I can burn it up ON THE WAY BACK to the city, then great.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Just throw it in the ocean like the rest of us.

Just kidding, dont do that.

Know anyone with an older diesel?

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
637 Posts
It's not the money. It's the "hazardous waste" aspect. You either figure a way to burn it or you jump a thousand different hoops trying to dispose of a "hazardous waste".

This is a lakefront cabin out in the middle of a Provincial Park with strict hazardous waste regulations, and I really don't feel like hauling it back to the city this year. It's a pain in the azz. If I can burn it up ON THE WAY BACK to the city, then great.
Dump it in and add a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and fill up the tank. You will be cleaning and lubricating the fuel injectors at the same time. She will love you. Don't belive, visit www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dump it in and add a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner and fill up the tank. You will be cleaning and lubricating the fuel injectors at the same time. She will love you. Don't belive, visit www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/
That sounds like a great idea.
Every year I go through this dance and I'm getting really tired of it. It's always just a bit left over and a lot of extra running around because of it. If I can just burn it safely in the jeep it would save a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just throw it in the ocean like the rest of us.

Just kidding, dont do that.

Know anyone with an older diesel?
Funny
I sometimes wish I could!
But the river water is pretty clean in our neck of the woods (the Provincial lands as compared to the private lands), and that's because of the extra regulation. It's a royal pain, but the payoff is there.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I use Chevron gasoline in my saw. Runs just fine the following year, no need to toss it.

Reactions: SkyMaster

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I used to mix my own chain saw fuel for the longest time. But I really don’t use enough fuel to warrant that so I buy the premix at Home Depot. Has fuel stabilizer in it and stays good for quite a long time.

As for the hazardous waste, fortunately I have a location to drop it off. If I did not I would just have a huge bonfire.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I would use it to start a fire and have a cup of coffee.

Reactions: yellowjkt

·
Registered
617 Posts

I agree, just not enough oil to have any negative issues. Wont know it was ever there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Use it to start a nice fall fire in your firepit. That's where mine always goes. Good move to empty it out.
This. I dump bad gas in the fire pit and let it off gas for at the very minimum a few hours to let it evaporate and get rid of vapors. That way only the oil and leftover distillates burn and aren’t as volatile to flashing. I had water in a racing gas tank that I didn’t feel like dealing with so just put it in fire pit.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts