Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever do this. I left the freedom top panels off my 2011 jku and passed out, well my luck there was a freak rain storm and well it got soaked. I woke up and dried the seats and and all. Everyone thing seemed to work fine. I put the heated seats on and plugged my iphone into the 115 spot and all was well.

Then about 5 mins later the airbag light came on and now the horn, blinkers, steering wheel controls (except the cruise control), and the buttons for the heated seats and 115 adapter don't work. I drove it for about a half hour and the air bag light shut off but the other stuff still does not work.

How screwed am I and it is a freaking jeep I thought it would be better built for accidents like this

Thanks Gregg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope so I really don't feel like shelling out a lot of money to get it fixed. It was weird everything was working fine then it all stopped. The airbag light has not come back on

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking the same as both you said but I read some peoples clock springs went. All I am saying its a jeep and meant for this lol

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Clock springs can go bad from "power being applied" when "wet" and that's not a "fun fix"...yeah it does happen...best you can do is try to dry it out best you can without the key on!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I been driving it and had the heat on when driving. How much about is a clock spring fix. This sucks

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Been there - it'll be ok. If you can, put a box fan in front of the drivers seat pointed at the dash and let it blow on high for a couple hours. Close up the front doors and open your rear window while doing that, to vent out. Do the same on the passenger side. Things will most likely straighten out.

You oughta see how fast I can throw those panels in now or hoist up the soft top after going through that same thing. lol

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Thanks but if I don't have access to a box at this time will it still be ok.
You should be fine.

Like was already mentioned, if or when it happens again, try to get it dried out the best you can and get some good air moving through there before turning the key on. It's just a little more assurance things will turn out ok in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
This happened to me last week. Had the top off and a shower passed over and didn't realize it. I dried off everything as much as possible with a towel & let it air dry the following day (which was sunny). I had a spiderweb shade installed & I think that helped to keep water from getting into the electronics. No major issues fortunately.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dig my 2013 Jeep, but I got to say the interior not being able to withstand rain exposure is pure horse feces. What the heck, you supposed to carry a top with you and put it on your Jeep every time it rains?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agreed. See my first jk was a stock unlimited had power nothing so I did or have to worry about anything. This had more options but the part about the rain sucks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Any damage that was going to be done is already done. The idea of drying out before you turn the key on is to prevent the water from shorting out electronics. Unless it is still wet enough inside that water is moving to places it hasn't been yet, your not going to make it any worse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is why I didn't want any power options in mine. I knew that I would be driving with the top off, and I know that it rains here. Knowing those two things, I figured that odds were good it might rain in my Jeep. I put on neoprene seat covers and took the carpets out so that part is good. I also know enough to not turn the key on if I suspect anything electrical or electronic got wet...you have to dry that stuff out BEFORE applying power or risk shorting something and letting the smoke out of it. That's when it gets expensive.

Jeeps are built for the outdoors, but the assumption is that an owner take a little responsibility as well. Don't blame the Jeep...it's not a submarine!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts