Premium Member
150 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Better than the IPF housing you feel?
The IPF was the poorest performing H4 that I've ever tested.
So poor, in fact, that IPF has never tried to meet any certifications for it.
In other words, it's illegal to use on public roads in North America.

The Hella ECE has a fairly narrow focus field. The highbeam is the selling feature for it; the best highbeam I tested. Monuments are built in honor of the highbeam.
But it's set a bit too far away from the lowbeam and you can't really dial in both to work in harmony.
It is lightyears better than the stocker though.

For H4, Cibie and Koito are the standard for most uses.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts

The Hella ECE has a fairly narrow focus field. The highbeam is the selling feature for it; the best highbeam I tested. Monuments are built in honor of the highbeam.
But it's set a bit too far away from the lowbeam and you can't really dial in both to work in harmony.

Good information! With the IPF housings, and the Phillips +130, it was a drastic difference in light output from stock. If the Hella housing has that much better of a beam, I may have to try them out. Thanks!

Jason

·
Premium Member
150 Posts

Quick question. What lamp did you use in your test of these two housings? I went ahead and ordered the ECE Hella's, and after putting one on last night and checking it against the IPF with the same Phillips +130 lamp, the cutoff on the Hella is horrible, and my light there is scattered. With the IPF, the cutoff is very defined. I'm worried that I may be blinding oncoming traffic if I place the Hella's into service. Also, the visible light output is the same on each from low to high beam. They actually seem ~less~ focused, if anything on low beam with the Hella. The high beam is exactly the same, visually.

Jason

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Quick question. What lamp did you use in your test of these two housings? I went ahead and ordered the ECE Hella's, and after putting one on last night and checking it against the IPF with the same Phillips +130 lamp, the cutoff on the Hella is horrible, and my light there is scattered. With the IPF, the cutoff is very defined. I'm worried that I may be blinding oncoming traffic if I place the Hella's into service. Also, the visible light output is the same on each from low to high beam. They actually seem ~less~ focused, if anything on low beam with the Hella. The high beam is exactly the same, visually.

Jason
Since there aren't any legal 130s to use, link me to the bulb. That could be your culprit.

The Hella ECE will have a very defined cut-off with a proper/legal bulb. It has one of the best, in fact. The problem with the Hellas is that the lowbeam and highbeam patterns are too far apart for the average driver to dial in. You always wind up with too high a highbeam or too low a lowbeam.

The problem with the IPF and a legal bulb is there is no cut off. They don't even have a bulb shield. They're not legal in any country at all. The ones I tested threw 1200 LUX upward away from the Jeep and only about 400 forward. They were miserable....

Where did you get the Hellas? Are they real?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Since there aren't any legal 130s to use, link me to the bulb. That could be your culprit.

The Hella ECE will have a very defined cut-off with a proper/legal bulb. It has one of the best, in fact. The problem with the Hellas is that the lowbeam and highbeam patterns are too far apart for the average driver to dial in. You always wind up with too high a highbeam or too low a lowbeam.

The problem with the IPF and a legal bulb is there is no cut off. They don't even have a bulb shield. They're not legal in any country at all. The ones I tested threw 1200 LUX upward away from the Jeep and only about 400 forward. They were miserable....

Where did you get the Hellas? Are they real?
This is the IPF housing I previously purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQGE18?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Along with this Phillips lamp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJWUPC6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01

And this is the Hella housing I purchased. Spoke to Hella directy via customer querie since they sell direct on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=pd_sbs_263_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZNN0TWH9PA8H9FRHV51

The IPF has a defined stepped cutoff. The Hella does not. At least not with my current Phillips +130 lamps.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
My Hella cutoff is very sharp and clean for a halogen housing and lamp. I am using the X-Treme Power +80's.

I can't give any detail on the IPF other than they haven't performed particularly well in the instrumented tests that I have seen.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
My Hella cutoff is very sharp and clean for a halogen housing and lamp. I am using the X-Treme Power +80's.

I can't give any detail on the IPF other than they haven't performed particularly well in the instrumented tests that I have seen.
I'm kind of thinking at this point that the +130 may be over-lighting the Hella housing, and possibly the IPF needed that extra light output to fill the housing properly./?

Not sure really, but I may try different lamps in the Hella to give them a fair shake. Right now, the IPF Housing and the Phillips +130 lamp look the best, visually. I may try the lamps that came with the Hella housing tonight, just to try a different lamp and see how the cutoff performs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm interested to see if anyone chimes in that has the Delta H4s. I read a review on Amazon that said he had to get used to the high beam pattern. He was right as as the lows are so much better than the stock, the highs on mine threw a weird patten. Almost like there are dark spots. I later adjusted then down after the leveling kit went in and the lows lit up the road nicely, highs were still odd. Input the +130s in and it improved the lows even more, but also made the highs worse. Not sure if playing with the adjustment would help or the Deltas just don't throw a good high beam.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not sure if everyone on here knows about the horizontal screws you can buy for like $6 from mopar part#55078114aa it helps with adjustments.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is the IPF housing I previously purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQGE18?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Along with this Phillips lamp.

Amazon.com: Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs (Pack of 2) (H4 60/55W): Automotive

And this is the Hella housing I purchased. Spoke to Hella directy via customer querie since they sell direct on Amazon.

Amazon.com: HELLA 002395801 Vision Plus 165mm 12V High/Low Beam Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit (H4 ECE): Automotive

The IPF has a defined stepped cutoff. The Hella does not. At least not with my current Phillips +130 lamps.
Those IPFs are illegal and unfocused and usually result in undesirable beam patterns. If you're seeing a sharp cut-off, you're rare.
Try a little smoke test with them. Dark night, turn them on, put a smoke source under them, look for light patterns pointing up rather than forward.

Those look like the right Hellas but anything is possible from Amazon. And the bulbs are good bulbs. I mistook your +130 reference for 130 watt. My bad.
I've never used those in an H4, never tested them. I only had access to the Xtreme Power series and they worked very well.

I can't internet-answer for you. I'd have to stick a meter in front of them to see what's going on. What you're describing is completely contrary to anything I (or anybody else) ever measured....

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Those IPFs are illegal and unfocused and usually result in undesirable beam patterns. If you're seeing a sharp cut-off, you're rare.
Try a little smoke test with them. Dark night, turn them on, put a smoke source under them, look for light patterns pointing up rather than forward.

Those look like the right Hellas but anything is possible from Amazon. And the bulbs are good bulbs. I mistook your +130 reference for 130 watt. My bad.
I've never used those in an H4, never tested them. I only had access to the Xtreme Power series and they worked very well.

I can't internet-answer for you. I'd have to stick a meter in front of them to see what's going on. What you're describing is completely contrary to anything I (or anybody else) ever measured....
Thank you Bill. I will say, I put the lamps in that came with the Hella housings last night, and the cutoff is much better. The lamps are Hella branded 12V55. I may experiment with the Phillips +80 that everyone else seems to use with the Hella, and compare the two with the IPF housings and the Phillips +130.

At this point I'm guessing that the mixing and matching of lamps and housings is a crapshoot at best. I'll try to take some pictures of the two once I get the new lamps in.

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Thanks for the post! Hopefully they work well and are cheaper than alternative LED lighting.

I ran out of time this weekend but I will be doing my Cibie H4 swap sometime this week and switching over to Phillips Xtreme Power 80s. I will post up results when I complete the install and take it out when it's dark.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Jason,
FWIW, when I tested the IPFs, Cibies, and Hellas back-2-back-2-back, they all performed differently with different bulbs. There should really be no difference in beams, only the amount of light between brands. An H4 is supposed to match any other H4 for filament placement.

Philips usually has the best focus and best light quality. They did the best for me in Hellas. This Osram bulb did the best for me in Cibie buckets ---- but with a full bypass harness. They really suck the juice and shouldn't be used on stock wiring.

Hella doesn't make their own bulbs and you usually can do better...

21 - 40 of 55 Posts