Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking. What happens to the side mirrors, btw? I know somebody won't like people driving with no side mirrors.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
most states say you need to have 2 rear facing mirrors and 1 has to be on the drivers side. older jeeps doors were an option. as long as you do mirror relocation brackets most cops will not pull you over for not having doors alone

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use a pair of Harley long stem mirrors in the top door hinge. They work fine, and the passenger side is even usable. They were around 30 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally Posted by pacode.com
§ 175.68. Mirrors.

(a) Condition of mirrors. Mirrors shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Rearview mirrors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with at least one rearview mirror or similar device which provides the driver an unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of not less than 200 feet. A mirror may not be cracked, broken or discolored.

Taken from ====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com

You should be fine with only the rear mirror.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Driver side mirror and rearview is all ya need in Jersey. Think PA is the same, but check with ur DMV or just by a pair of mirrors like others have said and ur good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally Posted by pacode.com
§ 175.68. Mirrors.

(a) Condition of mirrors. Mirrors shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Rearview mirrors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with at least one rearview mirror or similar device which provides the driver an unobstructed view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of not less than 200 feet. A mirror may not be cracked, broken or discolored.

Taken from ====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com

You should be fine with only the rear mirror.
Almost the exact same as Oregon.:cool:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Dunno what part of PA your from but I've never had a problem.. just go to quadratec.. for $30 you can get relocater bracket's that mount your stock mirrors to your A piller... But as i said it is legal to drive without doors.. You might get a hater that will give you crap but theres nothing they can do about it.

Also PA you need to have at least 1 mirror on the outside.. back in the day 2 mirrors were considered an option (like on older honda's) as long as you have a driver side mirror you should be fine..

·
Registered
34,437 Posts
In Florida you only need 1 mirror. But I have a bike mirror on the drivers side door hinge and little 2" in the drives ac vent and far passengers ac vent so I can see the side and behind me very good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Actually per federal vehicle standards it is illegal to drive without doors on a Wrangler since about 1975. All factory standard safety equipment must be present for the vehicle to operate on a road way which includes the doors.

However, it is up to the individual states to enforce those standards. Most have no idea and most do not care! No inspection in Alabama and cops here do not waste time pulling people over for broken license plate bulbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually per federal vehicle standards it is illegal to drive without doors on a Wrangler since about 1975. All factory standard safety equipment must be present for the vehicle to operate on a road way which includes the doors.

However, it is up to the individual states to enforce those standards. Most have no idea and most do not care! No inspection in Alabama and cops here do not waste time pulling people over for broken license plate bulbs.

luckily doors are not safety equipment......
"the top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident wear seatbelts at all times"

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
kc8yds said:
"the top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident wear seatbelts at all times"
That sticker makes me laugh every time I see it.

In the U.S. I think its allowed as the doors were technically an "option", are supposed to be removed, and are not safety equipment. States differ on mirror laws though. In VA all you need is your rear view and one side mirror according to the officer I asked. I have stem mirrors that slide into the hinge and bolt on there

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

Beat me to it lol nice work! I love that sticker...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Worst case you get into a collision where lack of a mirror can be exploited in civil court, and you get sued.

Probable case you get a citation for an equipment violation, put the doors back on, snap a piccy and show it to the judge and have the cite dropped.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts

:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but it irritates me when people post stuff like this without knowing what they are talking about. As stated above Wrangler doors are not "safety equipment." You can purchase a Wrangler from the factory with half doors. How much safety do they provide?

1975? CJ's were built until 1986 and soft tops came with soft doors. How much "safety" did they provide?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Daggo66 is right, doors are not safety equipment! Some old cjs were sold without tops and doors! In Texas only one mirror is needed! Since I live in Texas I couldn't care less about federal standards!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do not believe me if you want. PA is actually a state that can write you a ticket for this.(As I said, the cops generally have no idea they can.)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts