Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I purchased my Jeep in January 2014. I love it, and more importantly, so does my wife, kids, and dog. I have had it back in to the dealer three times for a leak (water on drivers side door, with hard top or soft top) and now the rear window defroster is not working. A metal tab came off of the window.

It's under warranty, and the dealer has ordered a new rear window. It's a well-respected dealer near Minneapolis, MN. Every time I bring it in, they are polite and understanding. I plan on bringing this issue of "lemon" up with the dealer soon.

I guess my question is, does this seem like an unusual amount of issues for a new vehicle? I spent a lot of $ for the Jeep new, and I now the quality of craftsmanship is so Stines suspect. I take good care of the Jeep, it's my DD and I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years, then it goes to the kids.

Thanks for any advice. Stay warm!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well the leaks are pretty common and the defroster sounds like a minor issue. I think you would probably have to have bigger stuff go wrong before you can start trying to claim lemon law. It sucks, I agree a brand new vehicle shouldn't have anything wrong with it but that is what warranty work is for.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well the leaks are pretty common and the defroster sounds like a minor issue. I think you would probably have to have bigger stuff go wrong before you can start trying to claim lemon law. It sucks, I agree a brand new vehicle shouldn't have anything wrong with it but that is what warranty work is for.
X2...However you might have a case if they can't fix the same issue after three tries, not separate issues, especially if they are resolved.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sorry to hear your having trouble with your new JK.

I have a cheap fix for those leaks if you're still having issues.

Go to your local hardware store and pick up a roll of single side adhesive backed 1/4" thick foam weather stripping. Width doesn't matter you'll trim it anyway.

Pull the rubber strip across the top of your door out of the channel. Measure the length of the top of the door. Cut a 1/2" strip long enough to reach across the top of the entire door.
Stick it to the vertical sheet metal pressing firmly as you go.
Put your rubber door seal back in the track.

No more top door leaks. Even power washing won't get through.
If you have a leak on the side or front, do the same thing.

The foam you put in just pushes the seal tighter to the door frame and top.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I once had a leak. They fixed it once and when it started leaking again, I quit caring. It's a jeep.

The jeep is not a good vehicle for the easily stressed. It leaks, creaks, and rattles. But it goes everywhere and looks cool while doing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Minor issues for sure. Thanks all. Please excuse the typo in the original post. Love the Jeep. Will probably end up buying the lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Sometimes my leaks and other times not. It not sometime that I personally am going to waste my time fooling with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts