Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 7 months since I bought this jeep. The dealer actually said it was okay and it would pass inspection. Made the mistake of believing him. Went to get it inspected today and it failed for frame damage. Nice hole in the right rear above the control arm and the control arm was also very rusted.

If it matters I live in PA. What to do?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lemon law doesn't cover used car in PA... Buyer beware, it's sold as is since it's a used car, dealer or not. Buyer's responsibility to check the car out.

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Lemon laws cover new cars that have manufacture defects, not used cars that decay over time like normal. Sorry man

You need to decide if it's better to repair the rust, do a frame swap, or sell the jeep.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Buying or Repairing a Car | PA LawHELP.org - Your Online Guide to Legal Information and Legal Services in Pennsylvania

If you bought the Jeep at a dealership, you are offered more protections under the law. For example, if it won't pass inspection because it is not roadworthy. I would suggest you try to talk this out with the dealership. If that doesn't work, try a lawyer. ;) Are you sure that the damage wasn't there before winter? I don't know about Pennsylvania law, but don't you have to have it inspected before you can register the vehicle? Seven months sounds like a long time. Anyway, good luck to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lemon law doesn't cover used car in PA... Buyer beware, it's sold as is since it's a used car, dealer or not. Buyer's responsibility to check the car out
I already read into Lemon Law and yes I know that won't cover it, but I did also read into Auto Fraud in PA and undisclosed frame damage fits the bill. I know 7 months is a bit long but it was garage kept since the week I got it and regularly washed during the winter. Next time I can get a picture I'll post it but I really don't think it would happen in only 7 months. The other things that failed inspection were the brake rotors. 5/32 for both rears, 7/32 for the LF and 0/32 for RF. The brake lines themselves are rusted to the point of about to go.

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
And why did you not regester it for so many months makes you look suspicious from an outside prospective

We're you driving it without registration or running so other plate or out of state scam

If you are not driving it and it was inside why did it need regular washing

Dies make me glad that in my state no inspections except emissions and only emissions in the most populated smallest county

Voters figured the inspections were a money making scam for the repair shops

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And why did you not regester it for so many months makes you look suspicious from an outside prospective We're you driving it without registration or running so other plate or out of state scam
There is a difference between registration and inspection. I've had it registered since the day I got it but last year's inspection just expired.

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
So either

It went from passing condition to non passing over the last 12 months where at least half that time it was under your ownership and care

Or

The last place passed it in failing condition

Or

The current place is overly critical

Or

It is all a bunch of subjective bs money maker law because the shops bribe politicians to pass laws so the shops and politicians can both line their pockets all the time claiming to be saving the public from their stupid selfs

Any way you slice it if it had an inspection and passed last time hard to hang it on the seller and you bought it knowing it was used and needed to pass inspection crooked as it may be

Guess moral is either move to a less corrupt state or if any doubt pony up for the inspection preferably before but at least very soon after taking possession

Your male children probably safer in a state without statues of guys that run programs that prey on little boys and cover it up

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If this is an honest dealership, I would take it up there, explain your situation and have them take care of the inspection for you. They would want to keep their customers happy or avoid legal issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Digger, you're really not being helpful. You're really out there. I'm disregarding everything you say anyway because you actually thought I drove around without a license plate for 7 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts