Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a quick discussion with a guy at a gas station who was on his third jeep and never made a mod to any of them
His thought was if I mod my jeep then it's less of a jeep because I am replacing jeep parts with aftermarket parts

Thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
So I had a quick discussion with a guy at a gas station who was on his third jeep and never made a mod to any of them His thought was if I mod my jeep then it's less of a jeep because I am replacing jeep parts with aftermarket parts Thoughts?
That sounds like something his wife told him so he wouldn't spend any money on things he wants.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
You should have told him that you were just replacing all the parts made in China and Italy with ones made in the USA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
LOL what a theory...great way to save money...

Do you ever feel like this forum single handedly keeps Amazon in business?...And American Express while we're at it!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The best part about owning a Jeep is making it your own. His life sounds depressing and boring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:nonono:
He has a much smarter wife then himself!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My old boss had 5 Jeeps in a row. YJs and TJs. Leased. Unmodified and never taken offroad. Not ever. Not one time.
And he called my two JKs "soccer mom Jeeps" and suggested I get chrome grill inserts.
I'd still wave to him...

Just saying that it takes all kinds. And at least you'll never have to worry about that fellow stealing your favorite campsite before you get there.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
So I had a quick discussion with a guy at a gas station who was on his third jeep and never made a mod to any of them His thought was if I mod my jeep then it's less of a jeep because I am replacing jeep parts with aftermarket parts Thoughts?
yes and no, you have to do your research. The after market is very good at marketing. And all the other jeeps are doing it. Many aftermarket parts are of a lower quality then oem. Take bumpers for instance. There are some really neat designed low quality bumpers out there. Let's use the YJ's as an example. After 20 years of living outside in the north my oem front bumper was rust free. I cannot tell you how many countless rusted out tube bumpers I would see running around back when YJ's were still relatively new. You would have this pristine jeep running around with this rusted out piece of crap bumper. The same thing happens today. The difference is the jk bumper is covered in plastic. So it's harder to tell its rust free. Vs a new cool bumper that is already starting to rust at the welds and fog light openings.
Another example; many times I'd have an oem engine part that would last 15-20 years only to be fooled as a young man with buying a cheap replacement part with a lifetime warranty and that part only lasting a couple of years assuming it fit and worked like it was supposed to right out of the box.
On the flip side of that. Many manufacturers do indeed try to put out the best quality part they can and these parts can indeed be better than oem. Skid plates come to mind. You have to do your homework. And try to avoid the. I bought it last week, haven't installed it yet, but it's the best part ever, looks great; crowd. They're everywhere if you pay attention.

However from a physical standpoint of its less of a jeep. Jeeps a state of mind man. You dig.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
The US army uses a basic m4 set up. Do you think that's the best set up?
The uses a basic M4 setup for TRAINING because it's cheap. I doubt any Rangers in Afghanistan, or even the Fobbits over there have a basic M4. When you get out of a training situation they become a lot less basic. (lasers, optics, lights, etc.)

Come to think of it I trained with an SF group last year and they even trained with optics.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Built not bought.
but what does that mean?
is it just a case of bolting on parts that you bought?
or does it mean you need to build the parts from the metal you bought?
or do you build the parts from the metal you created in the forge/kiln/etc that you bought?
or do you build the parts from the metal you created in the forge/kiln/etc that you created and using the minerals that you personally mined out of the mine you bought?
does it start by creating your own planet so you can then build mine etc? all without buying anything
where does this all end?

Note: just feeling somewhat philosophical this semi dreary morning...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts