Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a year fiddle farting around piece-meal installing aftermarket suspension parts. By the time I was done I had the start of death wobble. Finally said screw it and had my shop do a $6200 serious suspension install the right way with the right parts and pros doing the work.
Drives wonderful now and you wouldn't know it wasn't stock if not for looking at the righteous goodies on it. Kudos to Teraflex, Synergy, ARB, OME, Bilstien, Warn and Poison Spider for the good stuff.
Moral of the story... you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm a believer in buy once cry once.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Biggest benefit for that approach is the ability to expect perfection and to have a place to bring it back if it's not perfect.

That being said, it's not impossible - or difficult to get the same results with a DIY approach, either incrementally or all at once.

A huge advantage to DIY is learning and knowing exactly how to address wear and tear items or trail repairs without relying on getting it into the shop.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I got about 1800 in my mopar 3" lift. It drives amazing daily and on fast trails it absolutely kicks ass.

Unforunately it was about 5" of lift on my 2 door (was a 4 door lift).

Installed it myself and drove away with perfect results.

6800 might have got you some fancy high end coilover setup but it hets to a point where you should cut the funds off and build a buggy.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
There are 2 aspects to this, one being the design and the other being the installation. Unless you've been at this a long time stick with one of the major vendors, MC, RK, TF and the like. They have designed, tested and stand behind there products. It eliminates the guess work.

As far as installation goes it all depends on your skill level. Most of these kits are all bolt in and if you have the tools are not that hard to install. You probably will need to take it to the pros for an alignment but otherwise they are not that tough.

·
Super Moderator
14,549 Posts
Depends... I haven't seen a lift out there that I wouldn't have something to change to make it better. And, you can spend a lot and not get any more than some really good value components.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
I thank the very knowledgeable folks on this forum for helping me DYI two builds over the last three years (still on going builds). Saved allot of guesswork and money, and no regrets. Having done these mild to moderate bolt on "builds" has given me the desire to take them eventually to the next level. Good folks, friends in my book.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There are 2 aspects to this, one being the design and the other being the installation. Unless you've been at this a long time stick with one of the major vendors, MC, RK, TF and the like. They have designed, tested and stand behind there products. It eliminates the guess work. As far as installation goes it all depends on your skill level. Most of these kits are all bolt in and if you have the tools are not that hard to install. You probably will need to take it to the pros for an alignment but otherwise they are not that tough.
Kinda agree if all else is the same there are some advantages to sticking with one manufacturer. However, I really don't think there is great value in most of the pre packaged kits, once you study the inclusions and various approaches - you can piece together better quality and value.

Alignment on a solid axles is very basic actually with most mild lifts its not really even effected. Still you can basically do alignment in your driveway.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I am glad your happy, but for $6200 I would of gone with some EVO bolt-on coil overs! Alignment on a Jeep is the easiest thing to do once you do your research. I spent about $816, went with RK, Rancho's RS9000XL, and recently installed RK's bolt-on rear track bar bracket. I installed and aligned it myself, never been happier!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This is just the OP bragging about how much money they spent. Anyone with basic mechanical skills can install most lifts ok a JK and not have driveability issues.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This is just the OP bragging about how much money they spent. Anyone with basic mechanical skills can install most lifts ok a JK and not have driveability issues.
There is nothing wrong with having a shop install your lift, tires, ect,ect. It's about how you want to do it but it's up to the owner ...anyone that's too busy will have a shop do install.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I would love to see some pics and a list of the mods/components. Be interested to see what $6200 buys but I fear it wouldn't be as much as I suspect it would once you add up the lift, front end and rear end components, braces, weld in mounts and $$$ Labor..
What's most important is that you are happy with your purchase and it performs as you expect. Someone around here has a saying in their signature that I completely agree with. "I don't hate spending money, I hate wasting money." I'm paraphrasing so forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate.

Sounds to me like you're not wasting money.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I'm not so sure about that... I would suspect that the OP heated up a CC with a lot of trepidation as to the results and is just happy that it came out as he had hoped it would. In the end I think ALOT of us have buried $6200 in the suspension and steering of our Jeeps.

·
Registered
723 Posts
BeachrRat, enjoy your new Jeep! You tried it yourself then hired a Pro. Ignore the guys who are too cheap/broke to spend the money or are experienced Mechanics with the time, tools, garage, and desire to do it themselves. If you are happy it was worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I did my first suspension on my 14 a few weeks after purchase; Rancho 2". Fairly easy install, but it left me very sore the next day from sitting/kneeling/squatting/lying on my garage floor for most of the previous day.

I am about to upgrade slightly, most likely to the "Most popular WF suspension" as curated by Mr. KJeeper. But this time I'm going to take it to Southern Off Road by me even though I have plenty of time and would actually enjoy the work. They did my t-case swap, gears and lockers and I'd like them to sort it all, and I'll enjoy hearing their recommendations for peripheral pieces that might make a difference.

I won't spend nearly the coin mentioned in this thread, but it will be a helluva lot more than the $499 I have in the Rancho.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts